Need oil leak help ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need oil leak help ???

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I just got a 97 with 230K miles.

It has an oil leak (I knew about the leak before I bought it) I just dont know how bad it really is yet...

It appears to be coming from the rear main seal. (Dripping from the weep hole while parked)

However, it does not look like it leaks much while running, as the underside of the truck is not al covered in oil.

When I parked it tonight (uphill) it was leaking about a drop every 5-10 seconds right out of the flywheel cover weep hole.

I went back out about 20 min later & it was still dripping, although it had slowed down a bit, but not much.

The truck was recently "Checked over" by a Ford mech that another prospective buyer (co worker of mine) took it to.

He said that it was not the main seal, but something else that was about a $200 fix.

The guy who drove this vehicle for most of its life said it leaks worse when the oil is full vs say a quart low if that makes any sense.

This was a company truck that was replaced with an 08

I have read about the HPOP & some other possible sources.

Any insight would be greatly apreciated.

Mike

97 F 250 PSD
230K miles, auto trans
2WD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man, I hate to see that no one replied to you. I'm here over a year later looking for answers to a leak and your descreption is the only one that fits. I did find out what it was.
On the back of the eng there is a large plate that is bolted to the block and comes down to meet the oil pan. The leak is between the oil pan and that plate.All the time I was pulling the trans out, it was dripping. After I got the trans out and the flywheel off I could see it seeping between these pieces. Apparantly the oil level is above this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.