Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil pan leak '97 7.3?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  vitalidle 
#1 ·
I have read a lot of posts on this subject and checked the valley and rear peep hole above the pan and they are dry. I drove it about 30 miles after cleaning the engine and then pulled the starter and sheet metal cover at the front of the tranny and drained the oil. I then cleaned the seam around the oil pan and siliconed a bit at the back where it seems to be leaking. just exterior application without loostening any pan bolts... After a day of curing i filled the engine with oil (14 qts) and checked the next day. Note that i never started the truck after this process. I still have a leak in the rear pan area near the weep hole but using a mirror it may be coming from a bolt head that is above the pan in the rear passenger side. This bolt would be a bear to get at and i am not really sure what this bolt holds or does. It is a vertical bolt, head up and threads down and very near the block/pan seam. The head is (guessing) about an 8mm. I don't think it is the nut from the oil pan bolt but it's hard to tell. Any thoughts??? Ford quotes 15 hours to change the pan gasket since the engine has to be raised!!

#2 ·
Not sure, but I will bump you back to the top:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.