Catastrophic turbo failure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Catastrophic turbo failure

Well the title says it all. I'm assuming the bearings came apart
and let's just say it isn't pretty. Turbine wheel is completely gone
And I'm assuming the housing is too. This is where I need help this is going to be my first major tear in to a 7.3 I've work on diesels in the past mostly 5.9s since this is my first ford which I love I'm just wondering what pulling this apart really involves since I'm use to seeing tubos fed via a oil line not a pedestal and if it comes off as one unit or two separate pices. Also one more thing is if pieces of the turbine wheel made it to the inter cooler how would I clean it out? Any info would be much appreciated since I am a newbie to the 7.3:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
i got no clue about getting parts out but these are great instructions on how to remove the turbo:
99-03 Turbo Removal & Wicked Wheel Installation .: Articles

best of luck and what killed your turbo? lack of oil?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM

That sucks!

Turbine wheel is on the exhaust side so all that debris is out the exhaust pipe. The alum wheel that draws air through the filter is a compressor wheel. That indeed can make it to the intercooler but most likely stops there. You should pull the intercooler and shake all the debris out of it. You might also get some oil come out of it from the ccv.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks kendallcschm not really sure what caused it to fail motor was full of oil and I say was cause most of it went out of the exhaust and I had the valve covers off in November do to the harness coming loose on the passenger side and I was getting excellent oil pressure to the heads alt least at that time and it had good pressure today until the oil made a dissapearing act out the exhaust so as of right know I really don't know. Also thanks for the link it will really help once it stops snowing here in Vermont
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Re: Catastrophic turbo failure

The charger comes off w/o the pedestal. It's been about 10yrs since I did this exact same thing a few times on my early 99. So bear with me, you'll have to pull the drivers side valve cover, this is all you have to do to make room if I remember right. There's 2 o-rings to replace which should come with your charger. Hose the v-band on the exhaust with pentro 90 if you can get it, or any good penetrating oil i guess, about an hr before you need to take it off that might help it bust loose from the flange. When you snug the 2 hold down bolts they only get like 18 ft lb. Don't over do them like I did and end up back there with a right angle drill putting in heli coils As far as the pieces go, I'd just pull the intercooler and shake the stuff out of it. It's an easy job, if I missed anything important I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks. Hope this helped. I was 18 last time I worked on a ford so I'm sure I missed something.
Edit
Just realized you said turbine wheel, did you mean compressor? If not you shouldn't have anything in your cac.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks turbostang yea I got those backwards I meant compressor wheel
Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 PM

No prob
Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How about if there is oil in the intercooler just use a standard degreaser or should I use something softer like a dish detergent like dawn and let it soak? And also when I start shopping for a new turbo prolly gonna be looking at a stock one since I'm just looking for reliability not really into going bigger but should I go new or are there companies out there that have good reman units that people have used and are satisfied with?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 PM

been there, done that brother. You'll need to remove the intercooler because the rest of the carnage is lying in wait, there.

No need to remove valve cover. Remove air assy to turbo, remove cac tubes and spyder assy, spray the **** out of the v-band clamps on the exhaust side and up pipe collector..(behind turbo). With time to soak, undo them and hit'm good with a screwdriver / crowbar..etc til they "POP". Now, undo the 2-bolts securing the turbo to pedestal. ITS REALLY THAT EASY.

Get'n to intercooler, theres a writeup somewhere, but i know you do have to remove the header panel crossmember bar, then its just a matter of vinnessing the biatch.

you might wanna get this...Riffraff Diesel: "Mechanics Parts Cabinet" Combo kit

Unless you just wanna replace the turbo pedestal orings only, then have at it, at the dealer.

Good luck.

I used dish soap, but really, i was more worried about the pieces of compressor wheel.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM

Welcome to BDrummonds Van Turbo Rebuild Web Page

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38 Journal Bearing Rebuild Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.