Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

i need help with a 7.3 belt tensioner

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  tims02ford 
#1 ·
belt tensioner

hey guys if a belt tensioner is going bad will it not give me the right oil psi?:dunno:

#2 ·
ok come on guys i need help here.

#4 ·
:ditto::bump::bump::bump::bump:

#5 ·
hey guys i need help with a belt tensioner. if the belt tensioner is going bad will it not give me the right oil psi.:dunno::confused:

#7 ·
Im pretty sure the oil pump is gear driven. I know the hpop is:thumb:

#8 ·
well the belt is squealing all the time not loud tho

#9 ·
both oil pumps are driven internally with gears. Is it a squeal or a chirp that goes away when you rev above idle?

#10 ·
it is a chirp and will not go away.

#12 ·
but the belt looks not that old

#13 ·
looks dont mean anything, how many miles are on the belt , im not saying it is the belt , the thing to do would be to take the belt loose and spin the alternator , tensioner ,a/c pulleys and see if you can hear anything noisy that shouldnt be , if you dont see anything then , the belt may be worn and may not visually look bad

#14 ·
theres like 25k on the belt

#17 ·
then i would check everything like i was telln ya , and also make sure you arent getting coolant on the belt , that will cause it to squeal also , you can spray something on it like brake clean while engine is running , if noise goes away for a second after you spray it then the belt is the problem , if it doesnt then look deeper

#16 ·
Im going to merge all your belt tensioner threads into one to make it easier for all of us:thumb:

#18 ·
hey guys thanks i did the brake clean ad did what scuffy828 said so i put a new belt on and its all good now thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.