Oil leak and loss of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil leak and loss of power

So here I was just cruising down the highway at 75 and I started losing power (2000 F350 7.3 powerstroke) - oil & temp gauges all showed normal readings. Pulled off the road, let it sit for an hour and it fired right up and had power, up until 25mph. I pulled over a few miles down the road, got out and saw it leaking oil out the back side of the engine. Checked the dip stick and no oil was on it. Figured it was time for a tow. I was thinking the hi pressure oil pump, but I don't know a thing about diesels. Any idea what the dealer will charge to fix it? Any other ideas as to what it might be? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM

It sounds like it is deffinatly something with the HPOP. It could be something as simple as the o rings for the oil line fittings, or the pump is toast. I was one of the unfourtounate one were the pump was trashed. I have the same symptoms as you with the oil in the valley of the engine and it leaking down the hole in the back of the block. I had mine replace by the dealer, and it was about $1800 with labor. That was the pump, all new o rings, fuel preasure regulator, and the oil. The thing is that that pump is for the oil and the fuel feed to the injectors. That is why it sounds like it is running with no power. Hope everything works out.

J
Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 PM

Hello, i've got a 2000 7.3. Its new to me. I purchased an extended warranty. My truck is complete with some oil in the valley and less power than i would expect from a 7.3 Its seems to be slow as my old jeep w/ 2.5L Sorry to ask this here but after reading your post i wonder if i could have an $1800 problem on the way. I'd rather have them pay for it. Should i look at the HPOP.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

These engines are bad about blowing hp orings in oil gallies in the heads and on the hpop and also on the hp lines. Check all the lines and orings first. Also when the oil level gets below a certain level the truck will not run right. The oil level will need to topped off before it will run right, and make sure to run log enough to get air out of sytem because it wil make it hard to start.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:49 PM

One thing you will notice is your truck idling very rough if it is the hpop. I would also check the CCV tubes on top of the block. These are the 2 orange tubes that are on each valve cover and hook up just below the turbo. You have to tighten the clamps on these and make sure they are seated right. These are know to leak oil, and there is a delete kit for this. If you have oil in the valley and you cant tell if it is an o ring, try this.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Probably just an O ring that is cheap or free to fix if you can get an o ring.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Primary sources of oil leaks on a 7.3.

HPOP O ring
Turbo Pedistal O ring
EBPV

Rear main seals are VERY uncommon.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oil leak

Is there someplace that has a picture that shows where these parts are on the engine....forgive my ignorance...I am a newbie to diesels..but sure know my bmw engines...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.