Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

01 F-250 won't start!!

2K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  vitalidle 
#1 ·
Yesterday I went to start my truck for school and it would barely crank probably due to cold weather. Then the batteries died from me trying to start it I guess?

So I bought new batteries yesterday but couldn't put them in till today. I just finished putting them in and tried starting but the truck won't even crank. Just some loud vacuum type noise and that's it. I even let the glow plugs warm up and everything. I'm not getting a check engine light or water in fuel but the truck won't even crank! I probably won't be able to answer y'all as I'll be at work till 5:30.

All help is appreciated thanks!

#2 ·
First, double check all your battery terminal connections. They have to be TIGHT!
Where did you buy your batteries? Many places, if they don't sell alot of batteries, the batteries will sit for a long time and be dead when you buy them. Doesn't mean they are bad but, will need to be given a charge for a few hours before use. I always like Interstate batteries because, at all their distributors, they will change them out on a regular basis so you get a fully charged battery from the start. I think for a diesel truck, they are worth the extra money.

#3 ·
I bought the Duralast golds, which is an 8 yr battery with 3 year replacements no questions asked from Autozone. The terminals are dead tight and they don't even move around. I'm getting power to everything, radio, lights, and whatever else needs it. Even the gauge on the dash says it has enough to start it but I'm starting to sense it's not a battery problem.

#4 ·
Check the start relay on the fender well. It looks just like the glow plug relay a 4 post relay. Make sure you have power going to the starter. You could use a meter to check or do the screw driver trick across the two large posts while the key is turned to the start you should have power across both posts. If you do then move to the starter and check all connections there. If you don't have power across the relay its probobly bad:thumb:

#5 ·
Thanks alot, but as a pretty noob mechanic, where do I start? lol Sorry, not completely Ford Edjumacated here.

Oh and what is that vacuum type noise coming from when I try to crank the engine?

#6 ·
that noise is most likely the vacuum pump

#7 ·
Its located on the passenger side fender well have someone turn the key for you to start you should here the relay click.

#8 ·
Yep if you looking out the front window its on the right if you looking from front of vehicle its the left side:thumb:

#9 ·
Gotcha, will do this tomorrow morning. A dead CPS censor couldn't have caused this could it? I don't know the exact signs for a dead CPS or one thats about to die.

#10 ·
No your starter would still turn over with a bad cps. Basically a bad cps will stop the flow of fuel to the engine.

#11 ·
Ah I see, and what would cause my relay to go dead? Just long term use?

Thanks for being patient w/ a noob

#12 ·
No problem we will get you running again. Yeah relays wear out like anything man made. Could be lots of things could be the contacts inside or the coil going bad etc.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Wow, thanks alot! Now what was this screwdriver trick you were talking about? Lay a screw driver connecting both posts and see if it starts or cranks?

#15 ·
Right if the relay is bad it won't get power to one of the large posts. So basically your taking the relays function out of it.

#16 ·
Its a good way to see if your starter is working. If your starter is working after that trick then its in the relay circuit. So try that first and go from there:thumb:

#17 ·
Great, thanks so much for the help! I'm on the way home right now and I'll give it whirl probably tonight. It hurts me to see it sit on the side of the road for this long!!

#18 ·
Good luck! Hopefully its just the relay:thumb:

#19 ·
Alrigh so I just connected the relay with the screwdriver for a brief moment as the vacuum pump came on and startled me. Should I do it again? the key is not even in the ignition and the pump came on. what do I do now?

#20 ·
I just redid it with the key in the ignition on start and the vacuum pump came on again and didn't crank. So does this mean it's the starter?

#21 ·
Just a quick bump to the top...

#22 ·
If you had your key cycled to the start and you jumped the posts and the starter didn't turn over then check your connections to the starter and make sure they are good and tight check the wireing. If you don't have any loose or bad connections then its probobly the starter.

#23 ·
:agree: If you do have to replace the starter. Just to let you know for when you pull it out that sucker is heavy

#24 ·
I checked all connections and everything seems to be tight. I guess I'll have to go get another starter today. I looked online and saw that the weight was near 11 lbs or something like that? lol

#25 ·
Pull it off and bring it to someone who can bench test it to make sure its your starter. You can do it yourself with a battery, but might be best if you take it to nappa or someone who can do it for you:thumb:

#26 ·
Alright just to make sure, I was checking the right connections, where is the starter? :dunno::eek:

#27 ·
Nevermind, got everything fixed! Started up like a charm after I replaced the starter. Thanks a lot vitalidle you were a great help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.