Engine turns but wont start only with Ether - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine turns but wont start only with Ether

I have a 7.3L powerstroke DI. I had parked the truck for about 2 weeks and when I was about to start it, it started (~2sec) then die. It did not want to start afterwards...it'd turn but will not start only with ether but it die again. It will not start but with ether. I took it to the Ford dealer and they did a compression test....no compression. But then I asked them why it starts with ether? they just said that I needed a new engine. I am not buying this! Any help as to what it might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 02:54 PM

does your wait to start light come on? if not check #22 fuse in power dist. box under the hood it should mbe a 30 amp maxi fuse. if its blown, check your fuel heater, its probably grounding out.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wont start

The fuses are intact(all are good); the light comes on and goes out after a few seconds. Where is the fuel heater and what does it do?
I took the fuel filter out and drained the fuel out from the filter housing and it seems that the housing does not fill rapidly or takes a long time to fill up. I do not understand why it starts with Ether and not without it. But it stops after the ether is burned.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the ether just ignites, then burns out is all. is it cold where you live?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

ois the oil full and maintenance up to par , i would want further diag
Old 01-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

What were the compression readings, it aint possible for it to have "no compression" and run on either? Mine got down to around 200 and would still start.
Either is bad.
What year is it? Does it still have the factory air intake box and is the turbo impeller eat up on the corners when you look at it through the intake?
Have you cheeked the glow pug relay to make sure there is less than 1/2 volt difference between the big terminals when it is on?

It cost me $4,000 to rebuild my motor doing all of the work myself. Seems like ford wanted near $10,000 to do it and I got quotes from $6,000-$12,000. Compression should be around 350 psi or higher.

Last edited by alabamafrog; 01-18-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Mine was doing the same thing exactly.........turned out to be the HPOP..........check it out.......its about 650 bucks but its less then a whole damn new engine
Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I bought a rebuilt 17* one for $345 last week on eBay and online dealers sell them for around $350-$450. I assume Ford would have checked the ICP before doing the compression test and that would have told you if it were the HPOP. HPOPs very rarely fail, usually its the IPR that causes the low oil pressure and some shops just change the whole darn thing. Did they do a complete scan? What codes or problems did they find?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No start

I live in NC and when I tried ether it was hot back then (~85). Ford did not give me the readings on the compression test....they just told that there was no compression (but I asked them why it started with ether until it burned it all? their answer 'they have seen engines like that in the past' and wanted $12,000 for a new engine).
I am not sure what it might be. What is an IPR? ICP?
My truck is a '95 powerstroke DI, oil change was done regularly, it still has the factory air intake box.
How would I know if it is the HPOP, how do I test it?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

MonsterTruck,

My 99 7.3 is having the exact same problems. I am working on it now. My truck will just crank. It sounds like it is going to turn over, but it never does. If I spray a shot of ether in the air intake, it will run for a few seconds (burning ether). The more I spray, the longer it will run... But only until all the ether is burned. I don't play with the ether anymore though, because it could cause serious damage.

I will let you know what I come up with.

I posted a thread detailing my problems in the 99-03 7.3 performance parts forum (by accident), if you want to read my situation.
-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.