Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

CPS, or ICP?? Issue

4K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  ianstew 
#1 ·
Alright,
When ever I let the truck sit for more then 30min it'll only run on few unless I shut her of and restart her about 5 times then it runs normally. If I let it sit over night when I go to start it it'll crank a little faster for bout 5 sec then it'll crank normal and fire up, runs normal for 5sec then act as if it's only running on 4, and if I shut her off and restart her a few times it'll run normal. I've asked a few mechanics and some say icp and some say cps. What do y'all think? ICP sounds right cuz if the hpop isn't maken pressure cuz of a bad ICP It won't put as much as a load on the started but cps makes sence cuz once if friers up it'll only run on a few cylinders. Or did a magic happen and I'm haven both go bad at the same time?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
I unplugged it when I was tring to start it and it didn't seam to make a difference but the bottom of the plug was covered in oil so I might just replace that sensor anyways.

#4 ·
So sometimes it runs only on one bank of cylinders?

I would check all your harnesses at the valve covers, as well as the under valve cover harnesses. With intermittent issues like that, you may just have a loose plug. Hopefully, anyway.

#5 ·
Well I played with them while it was doing this and it made no difference. also I can't pull any codes cuz the cheak engine light goes off as soon as it runs normally and then there's no codes.

#6 ·
I have had 2 bad cps's and both times truck would start run then die and catch it self and keep running or die and stay dead then you would need to restart and run fine. Icp makes sense to me because if it reading inconsistently your truck would not know who what where when or how to do its fuel injection "ness" if its high mileage I would just replace it for the benefit of replacement anyway. Recently have a valve cover gasket goof up on me and when I described my running rough no power issue to our local psd mechanic he said gasket or icp turned out to be gasket but what your saying sound like icp to me

#7 · (Edited)
You pulled the plug on the ICP sensor and it made no difference, the ICP sensor is not the culprit.

Unplugging the ICP sets a CEL, and will use default pressure values and other PCM inputs to keep the engine running. My truck has an erratic idle, if I unplug the ICP, it purrs like a kitten.

There are very few things that will cause an engine to run intermittently on one bank, and most of them are electrical, ie; harnesses, or IDM etc.....

Have you checked the IDM harness, and the harnesses UNDER the valve covers?

#8 ·
Well what I meant when I said I sounds like its runing on 4 just means that like when I jump the started selinoid I can hear injectors in both banks fire. I think I'm just gona replace both, notice today that oil leaks out of the top of my icp....

#9 ·
New cps, run smoother and all but still got the problem... Why the hell is a icp so damn much. Like 100+ for a little sensor!?! I'm Gona pull it out try to clean it up. Same with the ipr.. If that don't work, well there gose my extra spending money for the next two weeks..

#10 ·
Clean both sensors and hasn't fix the problem but it runs better.. Haha anyways today after I got it to fire up, (took about 10min) I was pulling up my road and it cut out for split second cel flashed then it ran fine for the rest of the day. My buddies dad said it most likely a IDM!? He's runs his own heavy duty diesel shop but has done some work on the 7.3 and he owns 3 of them lol.. What do y'all think, time to upgrade the IDM? Btw where is the IDM?

#12 ·
Took it out.. Looks likes some salt from the roads got Into the big ol connector.. Uh oh mabie that's my problem! Why would they put it there! I don't even know if the little prongs will hold up if it try to put it back on:(

#13 ·
still got the problem i cleaned up the plug for the idm but haven't driven it much, i let it sit for a week and it fired up first try and ran great! did so for about two days then started starting like poop again.. today it died randomly when i was going about 40. died like i turned the key off. pulled over fired it back up and keep on driven. any last ideas before i get a new idm?

#14 ·
That's really sounds like an cps in my experience with 3 cps's on my truck. When my cps would kill though it would be on random blip then good. One time I was driving died and had pull over started up fine and that was on the one that replaced the first one I got the truck with. Well had to replace that one odviously went with the ford part now its good flawless even but more expensive. So I think its cps that was faulty from the start.

#15 ·
#16 ·
Today it fired up first try the it ran the the drivers side bank then switched to the passenger side. Keep doing this for a good 5 min then it died, started it back up and ran fine for the rest of the day... Going to the dealer on Monday to get a new (#2) cps

#17 ·
Put another new cps from ford abd nothing.. Gona order a idm lol

#18 ·
new idm and its running great, no more smoke when cold now either, my old idm was half full of salt! and was all brunt up inside.. idk how it even ran. btw i put the original black cps in and it makes the truck idle smoother the the other two new gray ones.. anyone need a cps? 15$ =p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.