I'M SORRY, another no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'M SORRY, another no start

Sorry guys, I know there's a ton on here about these and why they happen and you've given me all a ton to look for but I still haven't found anything so lets try some more specifics of my (well my neighbor's that I've been trying to help) problem.

2002, F250, 7.3L, Auto, 4X4

My neighbor rolled it on Christmas (merry merry right?). Got it back on it's wheels, drove it home. Drove it for the next month back and forth to work with no problems. He finally got a replacement truck, so the wrecked one sat for a week. It was taking up space in the driveway so he started it, let it warm up a bit, moved it forward 20 feet, and shut it off. He had an Edge module on it that he removed that night. We went to start it the next morning, and no go.

OK, here's what I've checked. It ran until the Edge module came off right? So I went back and went over every single sensor to make sure they were plugged back in and they were. Crank crank crank.....no start. Plugged the Edge module back in, same story. I had a scanner available, but it showed no codes. It is an '02 with the trans temp gauge so the tach doesn't move on crankup.

There is some smoke that comes out the exhaust, and in desperation we did try some "diesel safe" (yeah right) starting fluid. It spits and sputters like it wants to fire, but I figure it's just burning up the starting fluid.

I checked and we are getting fuel pressure at the bowl. I did remove and clean the HPOP reservoir and fuel filter housing. Again, checked that all the sensors were plugged in. When it acts like it wants to start, it sputters really bad like the injection timing is off......maybe cam sensor?? but wouldn't that throw a code?

Anyways, I have to try and get this thing going TODAY and I would appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
remove the hpop resivoir plug and check the oil level. should be 1/2-3/4 in from top. Also, check oil level in crankcase.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 AM

With your scanner, can you watch the ICP sensor?
Might have a problem.with the ICP, IPR. White smoke means getting fuel.
CPS could be the culprit. The thing should run on starting fluid. There is no spark to worry about so if it gets in the cyl, it should fire.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
remove the hpop resivoir plug and check the oil level. should be 1/2-3/4 in from top. Also, check oil level in crankcase.
Oil level is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
With your scanner, can you watch the ICP sensor?
Might have a problem.with the ICP, IPR. White smoke means getting fuel.
CPS could be the culprit. The thing should run on starting fluid. There is no spark to worry about so if it gets in the cyl, it should fire.
Sadly, I don't have access to the scanner anymore. It wasn't smoking white, more light grey, and was very faint. Where are the ICP/IPR sensors on a 7.3? Can they be cleaned?

Last edited by nighthawk285; 03-15-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 AM

That sounds bad man. Has it ran since then? The ICP is on the driver side head at the front facing toward the fuel filter. The IPR is the injector pressure regulator. It controls the oil pressure sent to the injectors. The ICP monitors that pressure. Nothing that you can clean.

Well, you can try disabling the gp circuit and trying a little starting fluid. It sounds like the original owner screwed some stuff up.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
That sounds bad man. Has it ran since then? The ICP is on the driver side head at the front facing toward the fuel filter. The IPR is the injector pressure regulator. It controls the oil pressure sent to the injectors. The ICP monitors that pressure. Nothing that you can clean.

Well, you can try disabling the gp circuit and trying a little starting fluid. It sounds like the original owner screwed some stuff up.
Ok, I didn't know if they were cleanable or not. No, it hasn't ran since the end of January since he pulled it forward in his driveway, the BOOM incident was last week. Blew the CAC boots right off the intake elbow (they were loose though) The batteries are so drained now from cranking that I have to keep a jumper truck or battery charger on it to get it to crank over. I just don't know what to do or where to go from here, and throwing parts/sensors at it just seems silly.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Throwing parts at it is bad but diagnosing a computer system without a scanner isnt much better. You also need to get a good charge in the batts. If the voltage drops below i think 9.6v the pcm wont work.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Haha yeah I completely understand.......throwing parts at it is like playing darts in the dark without knowing which wall the dartboard is on.

So if I could get a scanner, what do I look for on the CPS/ICP/IPR? I'm guessing if the ICP is too low that would tell me that the IPR is bad?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM

pull the batteries out of your truck, and transplant into the recipient truck.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM

ok, so here's what I did after work.....

swapped batteries from mine to his.....crank crank crank....nothing...no life. Even with a little starting fluid...no life. Also, I don't know if it's his starter or what, but it cranks very slowly from how other 7.3s have for me, even with good batts Anyways, checked over everything again, and I even removed the purple boots from the UVCH so I would know the plugs were fully set in. Swapped a good CPS (actually had one sitting on the shelf) into it....crank crank crank.....same story. No smoke coming out the exhaust, no sputters...nothing.

Wierd new development too, after about 10 seconds of cranking, something starts to buzz really loud for 2-3 seconds, then quit, then come back.....almost like an injector buzz noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.