01 F350 Runs Rough when Started - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 F350 Runs Rough when Started

Truck starts but drops cylinders. No smoke out the exhaust other than a quick puff when I first start it. The truck actually rarely if ever has smoke out the exhaust (I thought cold diesels should). I live in NY, temperatures below 40 seem worse than above. But it does not start correctly regardless of temperature (even on an 85 degree summer day it will run rough if it hasn't been driven recently). It also seems to matter when I last started/drove the truck. If I have driven it in the past 18 hours it seems to start/run better than if it sits longer.

Does this mean Injectors? And does this tell me anything more specific about the nature of the problem? (solenoid, o rings, valve cover gasket wires, fuel pressure, etc...) I have basic mechanics tools but I do not have a scanner to do a buzz or cyl contribution test with. Any advice or other things I should look at would be great.

Truck runs rough until it is fully warmed up. I'm fairly certain it is dropping at least one if not two to three cylinders when cold started. And dropping one to two until it is up to full operating temp.

I bought the truck from auction with 123k on it. I don't know any history but from what I have done so far it was a work truck and was worked hard. I have done minor repairs up to this point and wanted to drive it a bit to see if things would improve. It has about 128k on it now but still has the above problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like you have a 1 or more, bad glow plugs...
Attached Files
File Type: doc GP & INJ OHM.doc (23.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-14-2013, 04:44 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I think we are looking at more than just a few bad glow plugs. The bad glow plugs will cause it to start hard and run rough .The glow plugs shut off after 2 minutes at the most, but still rough until warm, so this tells me that its a cold oil , flow problem in regulating the HP oil. We could be looking at worn injectors (poppet valve) , possible dirty or worn IPR, ICP on the way out. Connecting to an autoenginuity will help to provide some real time data , so your not throwing parts at it. Where in New York are you?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm in the Rochester, NY area.

I was looking at the autoenginuity software. It isn't as cheap as I would like, but it does seem to do an awful lot. I may just pick it up to figure out what is going on with the truck.

Once it is warm, I think it runs reasonably well. Although I have never driven another 7.3 to compare.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The money for the Autoenginuity is worth the money. Since mid winter this year I have been having a similar problem. I'm in Utah and plug the truck in when it's really cold (below freezing). But since spring I haven't been plugging it in and if the truck has sat for a while it has a hard time starting.
This is what it does. I'll cycle the glow plugs once or twice and it won't start. I cycle them again and it will sputter a little and puff white smoke. On the 4th cycling of the glow plugs it will star but will run rough, hard lope. It will also puff a little white smoke. This clears up after about 30 seconds.
This is what I have checked so far. Tested the glow plug relay. This included supply voltage on the small terminals with the key in the on position. I also ohmed across the large terminals and when voltage is supplied to the small terminals and got no resistance well .01 I can also hear the autable "click" when voltage is applied. So I'm fairly confident the relay is good.
The next thing I tested was the glow plugs themselves. I did this by removing the plug to the valve cover gasket and ohming the outside 4 prongs. All 8 show no resistance. As a side note the glow plugs are Motorcraft and were replaced two years ago along with the GPR.
I don't think the problem is the oil weight because I have been running 15w40 in the truck since I bought it and when the GPs and GPR were new it would start fine below at or just above freezing without plugging it in and having not been run for weeks.
As far as the starter and batteries go the batteries are about 18 months old and the starter cranks good and hard. It doesn't seem to be slow or have a hard time cranking. Also I did an injector buzz test on it about a month ago, well after the had start problem started, and all eight buzzed just fine. On the cylinder contribution test It has always failed in the #8 that could be a factor but it was failing in that cylinder long before the cold start problem.
Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also am having similar issues. Not trying to hijack thread, but mine seems to have less then par horse power. Has no go in the accellerator till trans is warmed up and less HP once warmed up then I think it should have. I do have an edge EZ that was put in by PO. Could this be my problem?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update. I found the problem for my hard starts and it ended up being the GPR. Who would have thought I could have and 0 ohms across the large terminals when the GPR was energized and still have 0 volts on the GP side of the relay. I guess the little electric gremlins were at it again. I took the old relay apart and this is what I found. You can see where it had been arcing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.