Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

no start, hpop oil issue?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  timmyboy76 
#1 ·
Truck will not start unless block heater plugged in, then very hard.
what has been done so far glow plug system operating, replaced 2 glow plugs.
UVCG changed, new style no plug under valve covers.
IDM replaced short in under cover gasket.
I have the auto enginuity scanner, injection oil pressure builds very slow.
when running blows white smoke, rough idle injection oil pressure surges from 300 psi up 2800 psi very unstable.

Plan to change oil in hpop reservoir tomorrow.
suspecting injector o-rings as well, maybe mat sensor as well?:dunno:

#5 · (Edited)
update, need help

Truck is back together, fresh oil in everything.

1. No start - a little smoke.
2. no start- unplugged mat sensor
3. no start but closer unplugged icp sensor.

with ae scanner it is building injection pressure faster. no motor related codes.

Clarify few things after changing o-rings, pulled glow plugs, cranked over to clear cylinders. check all fluids levels, filled hpop resevior seperately., used fuel pump to circulate fuel in fuel bowl, clean out. Added HPO crossover line.

#8 ·
It can take a while for the engine to start after replacing the injectors. You have to remember that the air has to be purged from both the fuel rails and the oil rails. What is the high pressure oil pressure when your cranking? Also, what is the duty cycle reading? You might want to double check that you plugged everything in and that all connections are solid. I dont know if you capable of doing so with your scanner but buzz the injectors before removing the valve covers to make sure they are working. If not then remover the covers and check your connections. I hoped you un hooked the batteries before working on the vehcile, it is pretty easy to cause a short and destroy your IDM or PCM. Just saying.

#9 · (Edited)
Issue resolved

as of 4-7-13

After reading some other threads and checking out every connection, 4 times.
I used the battery charger set to starter assist( as i had been using all along), and used jumper cables a to running truck. Suspected low voltage issue?

And presto! :thumb: it cranked and ran.
ran diagnostics on AE, contribution, KOER,ETC.
results injector #8 shows issues
#3 high /low open

The issues of no start / hard start when cold are resolved. No block heater needed.

Will start with out waiting to start.

As far as injectors i plan to try the seafoam in HPOP system, and massive amount additive to full system. It worked on another thread figure why not?

I am guessing most of the injector issues are due to poor maintenance, and age.

In conclusion if I had it to due over again I would have done these things first, replace UVCH, glow plugs, and o-rings on injectors at the same time.

Instead I cheaped out and thought ok shorted UVCH - problem solved, next it was glow plugs- replaced 2, tear down to re-check, then it was idm replacement wiped out by short, and finally o-ring replacement on all 8 injectors.

I currently have one extra good injector and have a buddy i am about to get another from, if the issues with the #3 & #8 injectors get worse.

:woot:

Sorry about delay post got my medical release to go back to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.