intermittent power loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
intermittent power loss

Just bought this truck 2 days ago and it's a good thing I got a little warrenty because I think I have a problem. Tonight when I left the house it felt like it as struggling to make it up the first hill. After a mile or 2 I noticed that it seemed like it was intermittently loosing power and I could here a sound that I can only describe as wheezing. It seemed like it would do this until I let off then it would clear up and run fine for a few seconds then wheeze and lose power again. Then it would quit and run fine for several minutes.
It was in the mid 20's outside so I had it plugged in and it seemed to start fine. I must say it feels like the automatic trans slipping but the motor "sounds" like it is struggling to breath. Maybe low boost?
I need this truck to run right as we are planning a 600 mile trip this weekend. I already had an appointment to have the transmission inspected in a few hours from now just for a piece of mind (hey it's free lol) now I am thinking of running it to Midway ford to see what they say about the engine. I bought the truck at a used car lot and was only able to get a 30 day warranty so I need to (hopefully) get any issues addressed quickly. Truck is in excellent condition and appears well taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

forgot to mention that I checked the oil and seemed a little overfull. They had just had it changed. I wounder if the quickee lube type place screwed it up?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

do your own oil changes.

Reach down under the turbo, that housing is called the pedestal. You'll see a sensor there, unplug it, then fire truck up and run it.

You might need t oremove the EBP sensor and tube ,and inspect/clean/replace it, since this sensor works in conjuction with the one you just unplugged...

Welcome to guzzle's Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Cleaning Maintenance Web Page
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
do your own oil changes.

Reach down under the turbo, that housing is called the pedestal. You'll see a sensor there, unplug it, then fire truck up and run it.

You might need t oremove the EBP sensor and tube ,and inspect/clean/replace it, since this sensor works in conjuction with the one you just unplugged...

Welcome to guzzle's Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Cleaning Maintenance Web Page
What is the sensor called that you are saying I should unplug? What should I expect to happen when it is unplugged? I am assuming I should plug it back in after I find a solution?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

its the ebpv sensor, it receives "data" telling it to close the EBPV, thats located on the outlet side/exhaust of turbo.

I think whats happening is, its..(exhaust backpressure valve) is closing while driving, causing the sound/no boost/truck falling on its face..
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you know, it seems to run better after running awhile. I did read about the back pressure valve and how it's supposed to help warm the engine up quicker. I am thinking maybe that when they changed the oil they used 15w and since it was in the mid to low 20's it just hadn't warmed up yet. But I wouldn't think it would feel that sluggish and it did seem to take a long time to warm up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.