Fuel Filter Cannister - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Filter Cannister

Any one else have a hard time getting the fuel cannister that the filter sits in to tighten all the way and not allow fuel to leak??? I have to use sand paper and a belt wrench to get mine all the way tight! My truck also worked the cap loose and let fuel out onto intake manifold, then it ran down the back of motor and onto the tranny! I thought something else was seriously wrong!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thumbs up That makes a mess

I have read on the form of others having the same problem. If I remember right it's the length of some brands of filters. If you are real lucky Marc may stop by and put in his two cents worth in. You can read threw the posts and I'm sure you will find the info you are looking for. I do remember that the filters that come with a replacement top that a ratchet will fit into are the ones to stay away from. That is too bad I know diesel makes a real mess. Hope this helps and good luck.
99 Red Stroker
Old 09-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

lol..guess hes real lucky!!....j/k....you make it sound like i only offer my help to a select few but seriously, i do my best to catch every thread but this forum has gotten so big that that would be a fulltime job, i catch as many as i possibly can though.....

ANYWYAS, back to the topic, YES, filters that come with a cap dont tend to seal well, and the whole purpose of them coming with the cap is to get you to take off the factory cap, hopefully lose it, and be stuck with the aftermarket from then on. I know a lot of guys use puralators in thier truck cause they are cheap, but they are not good filters. There is a reason they are so cheap. When injectors are approz 350 bucks a piece, IMO you put the best possible filter in the truck to protect those injectors.

The aftermarket filters that come with a cap do tend to leak, and while i dont have any specific knoledge as to why, my assumption is as was said above, its overall filter height keeping the lid from sealing. It could also be a poor quality o ring as well. Either way, using the factory cap that seals properly with whatever filter you can get that fits, perferable motocraft IMO, is your best bet!!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:35 PM

Is there still an o-ring on the lid from a previous filter change. I've owned or driven 9 different powerstrokes since 96 and have never had fuel leak from there. A friend of mine had the same problem and come to find out there was an o-ring left on the lid. This may not be the problem but its worth looking at.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 PM

Wink Marc does your fingers sore

HA!!!!!!
Hats off to you. With all the post and questions it is a full time job you do so well along with others on here also. You guys are the reason this site is so great. Like they say two heads are better than one and on here you get the real deal HA!! Keep up the good work.
99 Red Stroker
Old 09-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredpowerstroke View Post
Is there still an o-ring on the lid from a previous filter change. I've owned or driven 9 different powerstrokes since 96 and have never had fuel leak from there. A friend of mine had the same problem and come to find out there was an o-ring left on the lid. This may not be the problem but its worth looking at.
No I took the old seal off when I put the new filter on. I just got is a tight as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.