how much voltage should glow plugs draw? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how much voltage should glow plugs draw?

When my truck is cold and I go to start it, how much voltage should the glow plugs be drawing? My Edge when set to volts, does not change. The glow plug relay shows 11 volts going in and 11 going out to the plugs, but I'm wondering if the plugs are actually working. I have a 1316 code and am wondering if there is a short somewhere causing the code and the glow plug system to not work. anybody have any ideas? There are too many new parts on the truck to mention but it does have 8 new glow plugs and they just dont seem to be working. I can plug the truck in and it starts right up. this issue is going on 3 months now and its getting expensive and old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Put a meter on the relay unless the edge is the name of your meter? Im assuming thats the edge tuner?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I set my edge evolution programmer to volts. The relay is working, 11.4 volts on one side and 11 on the other. I'm just wondering if all that voltage is actually getting to the glow plugs. Also today I unplugged the air intake heater and wrapped the ends in electrical tape. Somebody told me their air intake heater was shorting out and was drawing too much away from the glow plugs, don't know if anyone has heard of that happening, just thought I'd give it a try anyway. I'm still getting the 1316 code though. Does that mean my idm is bad? or just that there is a short somewhere between the idm and injectors?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Here read this 7.3 glow plug system diagnosis Test your relay and gp's out. I doubt your aih is doing that as its a different circuit. I can't help you with your idm code
Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonestrokn View Post
I set my edge evolution programmer to volts. The relay is working, 11.4 volts on one side and 11 on the other. I'm just wondering if all that voltage is actually getting to the glow plugs. Also today I unplugged the air intake heater and wrapped the ends in electrical tape. Somebody told me their air intake heater was shorting out and was drawing too much away from the glow plugs, don't know if anyone has heard of that happening, just thought I'd give it a try anyway. I'm still getting the 1316 code though. Does that mean my idm is bad? or just that there is a short somewhere between the idm and injectors?
There are 2 heavy gauge wires and 2 smaller wires, which ones are you reading from? The GPR is controlled by the ground wire, so you should see 12 and 0 on the small wires when you turn the key and about 2 mins later the wires should both be 12 and 12 meaning that the ground has tripped and GPR is off.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I know this is not what you are after but I'm not sure what it is as the way you ask don't add up. So hear is as close as I can get and some electricity 101 to help you out.

Everything in the truck is 12 volt, so everything runs on 11 to 14 volts depending on how much is available to be had in the hole system at the time. All the volts do is move the amps to the work and the total amount of work going on is watts, volts X amps = watts.

So the amps that do the work and glow plugs pull a lot of amps, about 8 amps per glow plug or 100 watts worth of 12 volt power. Thats about 60 amps for all 8 of them or 800 watts of total power draw when on.

The only way to know what the real world draw is would be to install an amp meeter in line between the battery and gpr. But the only reason to do that would be engineering work.

For repair work testing all you need is a test light. By hooking the test light to the + side of the battery you can probe the glow plugs one at a time, just unplug the wire from the GP and probe it with the light. If the light comes on full the GP is good. I am not sure on this but I think you can probe them one at a time at the valve cover gasket plug, if I'm wrong on this someone will set me right I hope. I will check that on my truck tomarow any way, I like to know for sure.

Now I hope that helps and if not I'm glad to confuse you more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.