Coolant temp sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant temp sensor

My coolant temp sensor is bad. I wa told there is 2 on these trucks, one for the gauge one for the ECM. The one that went bad on mine is the one for the ECM. So my question is, where is this sensor located?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

get the truck warm. whichever one of the 2 that you disconnect and results in a change to the gauge reading is the sender. there's one by the t stat housing, and one by the water pump
Old 03-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Coolant temp sensor

👍 Duh don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank you sir!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How do you know the sensor to the PCM is bad? I ask because if you're going by scanner readings, you might find a new one will not change anything as the ECT readings may not be accurately reflected in a scanner like the AE...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 ONE TON View Post
My coolant temp sensor is bad. I wa told there is 2 on these trucks, one for the gauge one for the ECM. The one that went bad on mine is the one for the ECM. So my question is, where is this sensor located?

being a 6spd, then yes, you'll see ECT on an AE, auto trans gets differed to EOT.

I'd like to see the "other" sensor. Only one i'm aware of is to the "rt" of t-stat.

But your correct, there is only 1 correct part #. Give me a few, to find the oem bag...posted on other site...

***for me, it was the 10884-AA p/n. Went to the first dealership only for them to have the same temp sensor for both location, the grey tab 12a648-AA, which had a plunger-like sensor feeler. The 10884-AA had the cone shape sensor feeler. Went to another dealership, same thing, until he went to the water-pump section, and noticed a "label" saying WATER TEMP, which also said, "black" connection. Went ahead hoping, and pulled trigger for 12 buks. part showed up 2-hrs later, installed over at buddys' place, and the trip home, dummy temp gauge, holding perfect. Before, darn needle would fluctuate from dead C to a tad above the first line.... ***

Last edited by timmyboy76; 03-07-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Coolant temp sensor

My scanner is showing -40. It's an OTC scanner. Does everything or more that an AE does. So that I correct that there is 2 different sensor then?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
being a 6spd, then yes, you'll see ECT on an AE, auto trans gets differed to EOT.
That's Very interesting. You're saying the 6sps use the ECT, as the PCMs reference for things like the GP system, instead of the EOT as the Autos do?

I did not know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 ONE TON View Post
It's an OTC scanner. Does everything or more that an AE does.
Really? There's something else I didn't know You have an OTC scanner that does things like program the PATs, change tire size in the PCM, that kind of stuff???
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Coolant temp sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
That's Very interesting. You're saying the 6sps use the ECT, as the PCMs reference for things like the GP system, instead of the EOT as the Autos do?

I did not know that!

Really? There's something else I didn't know You have an OTC scanner that does things like program the PATs, change tire size in the PCM, that kind of stuff???
I didn't know that about the autos either. And as far as the AE vs mine, I was more referring to engine readings. No mine can not do tire size but it will do things with PATS. Not knocking AE it's a great tool but engine reading wise not sure it's any different

Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 AM

I really don't know much about OTC scanners, they make Excellent tools though (I have lots of their Ft End hand tools)

Here's what I have from the AutoEnginuity Forums (when they existed)

I wrote to AE support about this issue. They confirmed that the pinout is there and AE sees it but the 7.3 application does not use this pinout so it floats - the result is
that we see bogus information. Just ignore it, it's a result of Ford using the same hardware for multiple applications.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM

my statement was purdy much, lack of better terms...i bet you see 320* with AE, correct?

Strange Coolant Temp reading with AE - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.