2001 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3

I'm in the process of moving , and yesterday I notice oil in my radiator resevoir ?
What should I look for ? The truck still runs fine....No water in oil , Temps fine.
I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 AM

Bad news. You either have a blown head gasket or possibly the injector cups erroded. Put a pressure gauge on the tube coming out of the tank. And see what kind of pressure you build. If its well over 15 PSI you got issues with the head gasket. These high compression diesels blow into the coolant. And not coolant into the cylinder like on a gasser. So you dont usually get the tell tale white smoke or rough idle. Thats why you get more pressure into the coolant system.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the reply !

After further checks , I think a o-ring broke on an Injector.....Turned out to be fuel......Hard to see at 5 am and below 0 !
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM

I hate to say it but unless you have replaced your injector cups, the cold weather you are in is what primarily causes them to fail over time and I have to agree that your cups could be leaking. There is no other part o the system that brings oil or fuel in close contact with the coolant like it does at the injectors.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Re: 2001 7.3

Oh help me plz. I just bought a f250 with 7.3 power stroke. I get around in gas engines quite well but this is my first diesel. I also have this very same problem. Not sure if fuel or oil. Sounds like pressure test would be a good place to start? What else should I look at?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i'd bet the head gaskets are fine. If fuel in degas bottle, its a cracked cup/s..(injector). If oil in degas, time to rebuild the oil cooler.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok the guy I got the trk from said he paid 300 to replace the cooler. I mention the price cause I dont know range for that part. I smelled the pressure cap and it didnt smell like fuel. I wont cant swear i'm accurate. What tests can I do?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

2001 7.3

I'm just in process of swapping out my oil cooler to replace the gaskets an o-rings. I bought a new oil cooler just on case and I paid 324 taxes in. That's from the local stealership.

But like Timmy said if its oil in the degas bottle it'll be the oil cooler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is best way to tell if oil or fuel this would eliminate various possibilities on both sides. Currently both oil and water levels are low. Guess that is one reason i'm leaning toward oil other than smell. And no i'm not driving this like this its how I got it. Guess from what the two of you are saying should top up water and oil run it till warm or?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

2001 7.3

Have you had any puddles under truck? If you look under your front end can you see if the cooler is leaking around the gasket on the front mount? Oil cooler is on driver side of engine. Cooler tube is held in place by two mounts. Rear mount holds the oil filter. Front mount is almost below the power steering res. When I noticed mine was leaking my oil and coolant would run low. Front end underneath just coated in oil. Would occasionally see coolantyoil on ground. That when I noticed previous owner RTV'd the crap out of the front cooler mount.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.