No fuel in filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No fuel in filter

Hi and a Happy New Year to all;

The truck died again This time it was about 100 yds from home so the tow was pretty cheap.

Got into looking it today and this might be more me not understanding.

It started running rough prior to a fuel stop last week. I ran it lower than usual on fuel. Meaning a 1/8 tank with the light on for about 10 miles. Last time I did that I had this same type of running situation but it cleared itself. This was prior to the HPOP replacement you might remember a few months ago.

I filled the tank up but it was still running rough and very low on power with an erratic low idle. I thought I could limp it home but got harder and harder to drive until it died completely. It was definately not getting any fuel. It wouldn't restart with a faint attempt to fire and a little smoke out the pipe.

Got into it today and found the fuel filter bowl completely empty. A little fuel dribbles out if I open the water seperator valve. The fuel pump runs for about 10 seconds when I turn the key on and then just stops. With the filter out, the bowl doesn't get any fuel at all in it. I'd expect just the pump itself would fill the filter bowl regardless of anything with the injection system.

The pump isn't nearly as noisy as it used to be. I could hear and feel it running inside the cab (Duraliner and no carpet on the interior). Now I can barely hear the pump when I turn the key. I had to put my hand on it to see if it was running. After 10 seconds it totally turns off and doesn't appear to move any fuel at all.

My experience with gasser mechanics says the pump is a lot louder when it's dry so it would appear there is fuel coming from the tank to the pump, just no fuel past the pump. It doesn't sound like it's struggling like the line is clogged.

Additional information that may or may not be relevant. I've got all the symptoms of EBP sticking. Sluggish and unwilling to rev when cold and hissing from under the dash. Not sure if that's related or not.

So is this just a case of a bad fuel pump or is the pump starting and shutting off a symptom of something else?

Thanks for any help.

-Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

Perhaps you are out of fuel, or the fuel pickup is in air in the tank, pump may be shutting off because of heat in the pump. Throw ten gallons in it, and flip the key on and off seven or eight times.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM

I filled it up right before it died. I cycled it many times when it was dead on the side of the road (after fueling) and many time since trying to get it started. It died about a mile from the gas station. It was running poorly right before and right after fillup.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Peter
Old 01-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New Fuel Pump...Bowl Still Empty

2000 7.3 PSD 6spd pretty much stock. The truck died the other day like it was running out of fuel. Guage says 3/4 tank and I know it is not empty. I replaced the frame mounted pump. New fuel filter a week or two ago. When I turn the key, I can hear the pump cycle, but no fuel enters the bowl. In the case the the pickup screen is clogged, can I blow from the pump end? Is there anything else to check?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bry03
you could take the line off of the engine side of the fuel pump and put a short line on it ino a can and see how long the fuel pump runs for. the is a relay under the hood that my be giving you truble i had one go out but the just wouldnt start. hope this helps
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The fuel pump isn't pumping fuel, pretty simple. Two things, one the pump itself is shot and not pumping fuel, just because it hummmms doesn't mean it's pumping. Second your pick up screen in the tank is clogged, this is very possible. Blowing it back into the tank isn't a good idea, but now you have a full tank of fuel to deal with. Either get four friends and pull the bed off or siphon the fuel into a buddies truck or suitable containers and then pull the tank. I suggest doing the harpoon mod while you are in there.
Good Luck
NCH
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It lives

Thanks for the replies...all are great. I was able to siphon fuel through the input line to the pump before I had to quit for the night (the boss' call). I feel like an idiot because it occurred to me in my sleep that I should try reversing the wires. There were no markings on the posts nor in the installation guide so I hooked it up with the wires oriented the same as the original pump. When I switched them to the opposite configuration it worked like a champ. Thanks as always for the help...hope somebody else can benefit from my blunder.

Dave
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
The fuel pump isn't pumping fuel, pretty simple. Two things, one the pump itself is shot and not pumping fuel, just because it hummmms doesn't mean it's pumping. Second your pick up screen in the tank is clogged, this is very possible. Blowing it back into the tank isn't a good idea, but now you have a full tank of fuel to deal with. Either get four friends and pull the bed off or siphon the fuel into a buddies truck or suitable containers and then pull the tank. I suggest doing the harpoon mod while you are in there.
Good Luck
NCH
What's a "harpoon mod"???????????
Does an 02 have electric fuel pump? If so would there be any benifit to installing a FASS system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.