Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

no one knows

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  jrelliott1 
#1 ·
So about a month ago my truck started making a clanking pinging sound at low rpm acceleration and some times at idle. my truck only has 120k on it so it freaked me out( sounds like bottem end problems on a gasser). I took it to my diesel shop, then another, finnaly the dealer, they all told me they cant hear it and they ran it on the comp and nothing came up. Nothing against girls but even my girlfriend who knows nothing about trucks asked me what the noise is. I took it to a tire shop to get my tires rotated and asked him to drive it and listen for the noise. He said that my front gear box is trashed and that is the noise. Its not a lot to fix like $500. It just doesnt sound right I swear its something in the moter/tranny. Maybee im crazy..... ANY HELP???

#2 ·
i would start by checking the oils in the tranny tcase front and rear diff.
if any of them are trashed they should show up in the fluids.
if yous fron diff is bad your fluid will be a silverish color. best to check that after running it a little as the metal settles after sitting.

#5 ·
my truck does the same thing, and has been that way for about 100k or more. I've been told it is the tc as well. Doesn't hurt anything jut really loud and annoying sometimes.

#7 ·
sounds like injector cackle

#10 ·
If it is the flexplate would you be able to pull the cover off and wiggle the flexplate, becuase I did that and it felt solid?

#12 · (Edited)
Mine broke. You can see it through one of the windows. Funny thing is they only have two welds about an inch and a half long holding the bolt flange on the flexplate. Seems kind of stupid for a engine able to put 570 lbs. of torque at the crank stock. Just my :twocents:

Edit: The flexplate is solid. The two welds that I saw were for the flange. It just makes the flexplate thicker where the bolts go through.

#13 ·
Ok this might be a stupid ? but when you guys talk about flex plate are you talking about fly wheel or is there something that is a called a flex plate behind it. Because i have the same kind of rattle . Looked at fly wheel looks good from what i can see.Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.