need some guidance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need some guidance

I just tore my motor out last week to replace the oil pan seal, as it was leaking bad from both the front and back. I also replaced the dipstick adapter as the last person to do it (before I bought it, don't know who) put it on inside out (yes, nut on the inside) so the tube couldn't sit in it and seal, and it also leaked from there. I also think that they used grey rtv instead of the ford stuff because it all basically fell off when the pan was off.

I used the ford stuff and also put a new o ring on the adapter.

I get the whole thing back together, fire it up and about a quart of oil comes out from the inspection cover (noticed the puddle after running for about 5 min)

Now I am thinking that the rear main is also bad. I didn't replace it because I heard it needs specialty tools and did not want to buy them, as I was sure after seeing the oil pan seal that it was that. The valley is still nice and clean (cleaned and painted while the motor was out) I super duper checked, I was really hoping for a turbo misseat or something.

Can someone provide me with a how to write up on doing a rear main by pulling the trans, as I do not want to pull the motor again, and I already have the transfer case out (range fork broke)

Is it just a simple as get the old one out with the wear ring, and put the new one in? Any sealant needed? Can someone give me a link to the tool needed, or show me a home made version?

Last edited by venturesomerite; 02-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.