Where did the Freeze plug go? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where did the Freeze plug go?

Well this is a new one for you,tried to put in a new freeze plug on the hole just above the oil filter,never installed one before and everyone said it was hard to do,I lined it up using a large socket poped it one time with a hammer and into the block it went! Tried to get hold of it with a flex magnet for 1/2 hour then realized it was aluminum .Now what? can I retrieve it by taking off the oil pan or is it bad news and I need a new Truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
It is now inside the water jacket of the engine. Removing the pan will not help you access it. you will just have to fish it to the edge of the hole and fold it to get it out. When removing them it is better to try to roll them out with a pair of pliers. A little late for that now. Good luck

Jim
Old 01-02-2008, 04:27 AM

I think I.m going to try and flush it closer to the hole by filling it back up with water,I can't feel it with my finger and have no Idea how big the water jacket is.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucwheat View Post
Well this is a new one for you,tried to put in a new freeze plug on the hole just above the oil filter,never installed one before and everyone said it was hard to do,I lined it up using a large socket poped it one time with a hammer and into the block it went! Tried to get hold of it with a flex magnet for 1/2 hour then realized it was aluminum .Now what? can I retrieve it by taking off the oil pan or is it bad news and I need a new Truck?
Can anyone pull up a picture of the water jacket just above the oil filter on 97 7.3? Thanks for any help .
Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM

It's not that big in there, get a claw grabber and go fishing for it. When you get it so you can, latch some good vice grips on it and roll it out. I don't think I would flush it around, you may push it the wrong way.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfields View Post
It's not that big in there, get a claw grabber and go fishing for it. When you get it so you can, latch some good vice grips on it and roll it out. I don't think I would flush it around, you may push it the wrong way.
I was afraid of pushing it farther into the block,that's why I was asking for a picture or diagram.good Idea with the claw grabber,I'll try that this weekend.Another question would it end up being a problem if left in ?Is there any internals it would affect?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 AM

I have left one in once and it was fine but you run a risk of blocking or restricting a passage. This could make a hot spot in the motor and damage so it's best to get it out.

If you think about 4 coffee cans lined up in a box with a lid on it. the space between the can sides and the box is the coolant jacket. The plug cant go down as the bottom of the box wont let it, cant go up as the lid wont let it. It can go to the front, back or maybe to the valley side of the box if it's the thin type of plug. I think it's about 3/4 inch at the narrow point cylinder (coffee can) to the side of the block and about 1/2 inch between the cylinders.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks ever so much ADFIELDS,you don't know how much you helped me ,I will try the claw grabber Sat. never thought of that. May have to go to Sears to find one. I wil PM you and let you know how it went,thanks again Buddy.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:31 PM

Welcome and happy hunting.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
my 7.3 is still a bare block right now i will get pics and post them hear for you tomorrow night when i get back from the shop. i used long SKINNY needle nose pliers to get mine where i could work with it then tougher needle nose to grab and fold it. good hunting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.