01 7.3 pwr stroke , cranks, won't start need tips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 pwr stroke , cranks, won't start need tips

2001 7.3 pwr stroke 149 k Calif truck Consisted maintennce 3500 mile oil changes , 12k fuel filter changes, constant air filters, diesel fuel system cleaners Only one fix CAM sensor at 30k
Ran fine yesterday- drove it parked it
Went out today to drive it cranks will not fire
I read alot about glow plug relays , checking fuel supply , oil level , misc other probs that might cause this

Where would be the best place to start, not much of a mechanic, but understand directions, I would rank myself as knowing enough to be dangerous with diesels

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When you are cranking on the starter watch your oil pressure gauge .. Does it show oil pressure?? If not you may be dealing with a HPOP not working properly .. If it does come up you may want to change your CPS .. I had one that just died and would not fire at all and it had only been in the truck about 30,000 miles.. You can change out the cps yourself it is pretty easy .. Get the CPS with the letter B in it .. It is only about 30 bucks..
Old 12-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Had it happen to my '01 a few weeks ago, 1400.00 later I got it back with a new HPOP, I need to learn about these things, I've been working on Gas engines for 30 years, dont know anything bout these cept what I'm learning here.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl-mechanic View Post
You can change out the cps yourself it is pretty easy .. Get the CPS with the letter B in it .. It is only about 30 bucks..
Drag it to the dealer and the cps is free, Recalled.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CPS replacement at 149,000 miles under warranty ???

The dealer will cover the cps on a 2001 truck with 149 k of miles , is this correct
Old 12-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok the oil pressure gauge goes up just above the L , then when I stop cranking ,it goes up to the normal range then slowly descends, Now I forgot to mention I did notice something the wait to start light was on longer than normal before starting . It is California the weather has been averaging around the 50's and 60's so not too cold
Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifany View Post
The dealer will cover the cps on a 2001 truck with 149 k of miles , is this correct
They didnt ask about miles at all at Folsom Lake Ford, Just said bring it in.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

STEP ONE

I had the same problem last week after installing the Quad Commander. Cranks and cranks, no fire.
After removing the commander wiring from the sensors with no luck, I just assumed it must be the CPS.
A quick check on these boards suggested trying new batteries.
One trip to Sears and it lit up just fine. Turns out the batts can be strong enough to turn the starter, yet too weak to activate the IDM or the BFD (whatever that chingadaris is).
If your batteries are a couple 2/3 yrs old, they could be your problem. Even if it's not your problem, you can't lose buying new batteries.
This is an easy fix, try it first.

Oh yeh, Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am going to replace the batteries, and the grd terminal cables while in there This is a CALIF truck , not sure if it has the Glow plug relay [ do not think so ] checked the fuel pump it is pushing fuel through water fuel separator , changing the oil and the water n fuel seperator while I am under the hood
Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifany View Post
I am going to replace the batteries, and the grd terminal cables while in there This is a CALIF truck , not sure if it has the Glow plug relay [ do not think so ] checked the fuel pump it is pushing fuel through water fuel separator , changing the oil and the water n fuel seperator while I am under the hood
The California emission will have 2 GPR's, 1 for each bank of 4 glow plugs. It should start with a bunch of cranking at your temps if it was just the glow plugs. Do you have oil in the hpop reservoir in the top front of the motor? It has a 1/4" pipe plug in top of it with a 1/4" square drive hole in it to be removed with a 1/4" drive ratchet. It should be within an inch or so from the top when you check it.

The batteries must have enough juice to not drop under about 11 volts as the starter is tunning or the computer will not work and it wont start. So new batteries or old put a charger on them till you find the trouble or all the cranking will draw them down on you. Alsso, how strong is your starter, is it spinnig fast enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.