LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Milky Oil

About 3 weeks ago I replaced the water pump on my 95 7.3 PSD. I've never done that before, but with the help of alldatadiy.com and the proper tools it wasnt' hard. About 1 week ago I had to replace my cam position sensor (176,000m) and while diagnosing that problem I noticed that there was just a small amount of milky oil at the tip of the dipstick (after it was wiped) when I checked the oil. My coolant resivoir was empty, but from the outside it looked full, so I hadn't checked it since I refilled the coolant from the water pump change (the plastic for the resivoir is somewhat stained from coolant over the years). I filled the resevoir with 50/50 mix and drove for a few days to burp out any additional air. 2 or 3 days ago, I added about 1 gallon of 50/50 coolant and checked the oil dipstick, it hadn't gotten any worse and the oil level was the same (half way in the OK area). After driving around for a while, I checked the coolant level, it was ok. Today, I was hearing a bit of a squeel from the engine so I decided to track it down. While looking at and listening to the serpentine belt, I noticed steam coming out of the oil dipstick. I've never seen this before. I removed the oil fill cap on the valve cover and a lot of steam was coming out and the cap was covered in milky oil. I checked the dipstick and it had a lot more milky oil on it than ever before. I cleaned it and dipped it, this time it came back almost entirely white and was up to the full level. I checked my coolant resivoir and it is empty again.

Do you guys think this is a blown head gasket, injector o-ring problem, oil cooler problem, or something else?

In the 6 months that I've owned this truck I have replaced the vacuum pump, low vacuum indicator switch, cps, water pump, changed the oil, flushed the motor, installed an air intake system, and installed a 4-bank chip.
post #2 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I didn't read through most of this b/c I'm at work but anytime you question oil it's usually a great idea to send your oil off for a UOA

blackstonelab.com

Looks like their website is not avail? sorry! Free bump!

2001 F250
11.62 @ 115.79
Owner of Marty's Diesel
Elkton, Maryland
post #3 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Infidel

Just from what you described it sounds like a head gasket. I suppose it could be a gasket at the oil cooler as well.

Craig

Remember Ft. Hood

And never forget who did it

Religion of peace my жопа

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK23112 View Post

Ah, we can lead a man to knowledge.....but we can't make him think.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

dont worry about it......Here is the deal...

Im guessing the truck doeesnt get driven a lot.....it has condensation build up in the oil. That vapor your seeing is just the water working its way out of the oil...nothing to worry about. If you had a blown headgasket the vehicle would be overheating....
post #5 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ive had a blown head gasket now for about 15,000 miles i put stop leak in the coolent and check the oil often it wont always overheat, and when you add the stop leak pinch the lines off going to the heater in the cab or it might plug it resolting in no heat good luck and stop leak does work
post #6 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke0298 View Post
ive had a blown head gasket now for about 15,000 miles i put stop leak in the coolent and check the oil often it wont always overheat, and when you add the stop leak pinch the lines off going to the heater in the cab or it might plug it resolting in no heat good luck and stop leak does work
Bad idea...

2003 6.0 F350 dually on high cholesterol fuel (WVO)
2000 7.3 Excursion also on a high cholesterol fuel

post #7 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
dont worry about it......Here is the deal...

Im guessing the truck doeesnt get driven a lot.....it has condensation build up in the oil. That vapor your seeing is just the water working its way out of the oil...nothing to worry about. If you had a blown headgasket the vehicle would be overheating....
What about the loss of so much coolant? I'm going to drain and refill the oil tonight. The stop leak sounds like a good idea, can I just leave the heater turned off while running the stop leak for awhile? I thought that coolant doesn't flow to the heater core if the heater isn't turned on (I could be wrong though).

I do drive the truck everyday, at least 20 miles. It just seems like there's too much milkyness to be just vapor, I hope I'm wrong. I'll report back on the condition of the oil later.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Bad idea...
CHenry, can you expand upon the "Bad idea..." comment, please?
post #9 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a head gasket issue or intake gasket. But most of my knowledge comes from gas GM engines. On those it was typically intake, matter of fact i get to do one tomorrow on a 99 Malibu.

Pat

2000 F250 Carpenter's Union local 2214 LOOKING FOR SIDE JOBS

Mac intake,5" exhaust with6" tip,Zoodad,foil delete, ts chip, WW

96 E350 bad trans mod NO MORE.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-01-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OK. Here's the update. We found the problem at the oil cooler, the first place we looked!

The oil itself had greenish tint to it from the coolant. We drained the oil and coolant and replaced the oil cooler with a new (o-rings and gaskets too). Put it all back together and filled everything up. She fired right up and ran great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode