ive got a problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ive got a problem

hello all first just wanted to say hi i am kind of new to the page but this is the best thing i have ever seen for psd now on to my problem i have an 01 psd and here latley it sounds like it is mising and idles rough and the injectors sound like they are knocking and when i get to higher speeds(45mp) it shakes really bad i changed the cam sensor and that dident do anything i have hear the it is my injection control module but i was just wondering what some of your guys thoughts were are there any other sensors that i need to check the truck just turned 100 000 miles so i am sure there are some that i need to check but ya just trying to figure out how these babys work so i hope to hear from you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Banned

get the valve covers off of it and check the wiring harnesses under them. You probably have one of the two coming disconnected. There is always the possibility its a bad injector too....but the harnesses are more common....
Old 12-29-2007, 07:08 AM

i had that knocking sound years ago. ended my fuel pump was going out.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 AM

so if it was the harness under the valve cover comming disconected then that could be why every once and a while it will run fine till i either get into it real hard. when this problem first started it just did it till the truck got to operating temp then it would run fine now it just does it all the time??
Old 12-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieStroker944 View Post
so if it was the harness under the valve cover comming disconected then that could be why every once and a while it will run fine till i either get into it real hard. when this problem first started it just did it till the truck got to operating temp then it would run fine now it just does it all the time??
if the harness is barely making contact....when you get on it hard the electrical current then cant pass through well enough.....but based on what you just told me i would say it is probably an injector. It could be dropping fuel pressure too as stated above. You want to test fuel pressure and then do a buzz test and a cylender contribution test on a scan tool if you can....
Old 12-29-2007, 07:33 AM

ok i will see what i can do thank you i have had it scanned but i dont remember what the codes are but my mech told me that he thought it was the injection control mod but those are like 1000 bucks so i wanted your guys opinion but i will definatly get it in and check it out and see what i can do thanks alot
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Banned

the code he got just stated "idm codes detected" which means it has detected injector codes. The only way to get the actual injector code is to run a buzz test or cylender contrubution test.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:37 AM

ok i will keep that in mind thank you
Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds like how my truck acted when I got a bad load of fuel that crapped up my whole fuel system and injectors. Have you changed the fuel filter since it started acting up? May be UVC wiring but fuel system would be my first guess. There is a big difference between reading codes and doing a real scan and buzz test and real contribution test. Make sure your mechanic know what he is doing and is trustworthy. Total cost for a full scan and all the tests should be around $75. Hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to the heads that you can see in the cab while making hard runs will help a lot with diagnostics. Again it is free and relatively easy to inspect the valve cover wiring.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:01 AM

well i know that the mech that i take my truck to is trust worthy i have been doing diesel buisness with him for a couple of years and he has never failed me yet but funny you should ask about the filter because i just changed it right before my truck started acting up and it could be bad fuel becuase got knows that 15ppm sulfer diesel sucks if you ask me but ya i guess i cant do anything about it now but i will for sure try and get it in and get it further tested because i want to be as accuarte as a can be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.