Runs on 4 cylinders-- - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Runs on 4 cylinders--

I own a 2000 F250 6spd 4X4 extended cab. I bought in new and put 105K miles on it. I have had this problem before. The forum sugested to change the valve cover gaskets which I did and it quit, for a while. This was about two years ago. It is doing it again!! What I have learned is that when I first start it, it runs on all eight. Shortly after, it acts up. All 4 right side cylinders do not fire. When it first started acting up, I could wiggle the plug on the valve cover and it would run on 8 again. I have the stick, if I turn off the ignition while going down the road and turn it back on it will run on 8 for a mile or so and then act-up again.
I removed the right valve cover, cleaned and pinched all the connectors, washed the conectors off with a q-tip with alcohol and put it back together. I took it for a 15 mile ride yesterday after putting it back together. I pushed it pretty hard and it never acted up. Today I went to start it and within 1 minute it acted up again. I pulled the right plug off while it was running (on the left side)and plugged it back in to no avail.

Any Ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

the valve cover gaskets arent the problem usually for this concern.....its the wiring harness under the valve cover that plugs into them...the connectors sag and the they start to slide out and disconnect themselves...
Old 12-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok!! The plugs were all plugged in all the way. I didn't notice anywhere the wires were touching. Should I replace the harness under the valvecover? Thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

The replacement UVC harnesses come with a small plastic tang molded into the connector which maintains upward pressure on the latch so it doesn't unplug from the VC gasket interface.

Mike Cleary
Old 12-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks! What kind of a job is it to replace the harness and how much$ for the kit.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by power-stroker View Post
Ok thanks! What kind of a job is it to replace the harness and how much$ for the kit.
Dont know the cost on the kit but you pull the valve covers unplug the old harness and replace with the new one
Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 PM

i have the same problem but none on the drivers side will fire. i've had the problem before about 5-6 months ago but that was becuase an injector was shorting out and taking the whole bank out.i've unplugged every injector one at a time on the drivers side and can't get one to fire. i've got it running and pushed and wiggled every connection and still can't get any to fire. is there a way to test to see if its the wiring. my SES light is on. i've taken it to advance auto and there scanner wasn't able to scan it so i order the AutoEnginuity but that won't be in till jan 3.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:56 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

You could try swapping the valve cover gaskets from one bank to the other. If they start firing, get new gaskets and under valve cover harnesses. If they don't, you may have a harness problem.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjurecki View Post
i have the same problem but none on the drivers side will fire. i've had the problem before about 5-6 months ago but that was becuase an injector was shorting out and taking the whole bank out.i've unplugged every injector one at a time on the drivers side and can't get one to fire. i've got it running and pushed and wiggled every connection and still can't get any to fire. is there a way to test to see if its the wiring. my SES light is on. i've taken it to advance auto and there scanner wasn't able to scan it so i order the AutoEnginuity but that won't be in till jan 3.
It's possible that you have an IDM failure on that bank---when you get the AE, see if you have a code P1284.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by power-stroker View Post
I think they run about $85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.