rough start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry rough start

I have an '02 PSD with 76k. I'll start it in the morning, it'll start fine but after 15-30 seconds of idling it runs rough as if its not firing on all cylinders. I've replaced the fuel pump and filter, changed and checked the oil, new glow plug relay, new IDM. Ford can't figure it out, they said no problem codes. It has an air raid intake and a straight 4" exhaust. Ideas? It does this rough idling in warm and cold weather, plugged in or not, and lasts from 3-10 minutes, sometimes dies, sometimes does not. If I depress the accelerator while idling rough I can hear a clicking noise in rhythm with the rpm's.

Last edited by Jaker; 11-09-2005 at 06:28 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
More details, please

Yeah, I would have to know a little more about the situation to know for sure. So what is the outside temperauture when you are starting it and also, how long does it idle rough?

Mine truck, as well as others that I know fire right up in the cold mornings, but then they idle really rough. So much so that the truck shakes. It only does this if it has not been run for a long time or when it is cold. Do you plug your truck in ever? This helps too.

Hope that helps...

~Turbotime
Old 11-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

rough/rolling idle

Hey... A couple things I would have the dealer check. Base fuel pressure when the truck is running poorly. Check the glow plugs and circuits, making sure that all eight are ok. Try 10-30D oil in cold weather if you're not already. Ford has a Technical Service Bulletin regarding rough/rolling idle in cold weather when using 15-40D oil. Monitor ICP, ICPV, IPR, etc, while truck is running poorly. Also, definently have them perform a Cylinder Contribution test when cold. If they say they can't, tell them to use the WDS signal generator with the EOT connector to trick the PCM into thinking the engine is warm enough to perform the test. This will tell you if you have a weak injector. Let me know if the problem goes away once the truck warms up. Also, does the truck run completely normal on cold start then run crappy, or does it kind of run bad, then run alot worse.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

carlopro, yeah, it runs fine right after it's started, then gets worse, then bad enough to shake the truck, then a little better, then worse, sometimes dying sometimes not, ad infinitium . . . then, suddenly, runs fine for the rest of the drive. When restarted, after a brief stop, sometimes the problem returnes sometimes it does not.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

rough start

Hey... Really the only thing I can think of that would make your truck run that bad and not throw a code would be fuel pressure. Powerstrokes don't monitor base fuel pressure at all. I've seen trucks run like an absolute bag of crap, have 25psi fuel pressure, and not have any PCM codes. I'd check the fuel pressure when cold and running poorly. Spec is 45psi or greater. Most run 55psi to 60psi. If it does turn out low, check the sending unit in the tank. I've seen the inner coating of the tank disintegrate and clog the pickup as well as sediment build up and both cause a similar problem, where the truck will run decent for a few minutes after startup, but as soon as the sending unit sucks everything back into the screen, it runs poorly. And it will do this over and over again. Also you've already replaced the pump and filter so it doesn't leave much more of the fuel system to be the cause.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine to

This sounds alot like my 02 F250. I have only had it for 3 months and already I am sick of it. cool mornings below 50 degrees I will glow the plugs and fire it up. For the first second all seems ok and then it goes to missing like a gas engine with a plug wire off. From this point if I give it some throttle it clears out or it stalls. The first visit to ford they replaced Injection pressure regulator, high presssure pump and some lines within a week it was still doing the same thing. The second visit to ford(a different dealer) they told me the G rotor pump and front timing cover would have to be replaced. They covered it under waranty and did the work. The first 2 days I had it back was cold in the morning like 35 or so. The tuck started and never skipped but It idled at 12 to 13 hundred rpm and billowed out blue smoke and sounded like an f16 fighter jet taking off. Hay at least it stayed running but by 3 days latter the idle seems to be back to a normal level. GUESS WHAT right back to doing the same thing. I also notice that my truck seems to idle ruffer than all of my friends. Since they did the oil pump the pressure gadge seem to come up quicker on start up but I now have a knocking sound in neutral or park that seems to go away or atleast gets quieter when I put it in gear. I hope like hell they didnt damage the bearings putting that pump in. I am going to take it back again tomarrow before it hits 100k. I have been an automotive tech for 12 years but know very little about diesel fords so any ideas on what I should do would be greatly apreciated
Old 11-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool rough start follow-up

So it's snowing here in Denver, the temp dropped suddenly, like that's out of the ordinary for Denver, and the snow started flying. I went to start my truck, not plugged in and sitting for two days, and it started fine and ran fine all day. It sat for seven hours between starts today and still ran fine. I'm confused. I did drop the fuel tank and cleaned the screens inside the fuel pickup, not much to clean out, and checked the tank lining, all is well. This whole problem happened last year, around late fall, then stopped. When it happened last time I didn't have any modifications on the truck. I'm convinced that if I take it to Ford they'll say nothing is wrong, codewise, my next step is to try to check all the electrical connections and circutry to try to find something off-kilter, otherwise I'm at a loss. Thanks to everyone for the ideas, and I'll gladly consider more options.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
hey Carlpro, do these vintage of PSD's have a MAF if so the wires may be dirty.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lightbulb still rough

anyone think that a weak battery could cause this problem? One battery took a charge for about an hour before it was full, could the weak battery not be providing enough electricity for start up? I did the hi-tech home alternator test (hold a wrench to the back of it) and the wrench didn't stick. I don't know enough about the electrical systems of diesels to know if it's not getting enough charge. I religiously run injector cleaner (BG44K) through it so I don't think its an injector problem, and the problem happens wether it's a hot or cold start. Having replaced the glowplug relay and the IDM, and checked all the electrical circutry to see that it's plugged in I'm still at a loss as are the mechanics at Ford. Thanks, Jaker.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Jaker, Have you considered taking your truck to an International service center (after all, is your engine not a Navistar, built by International)? Perhaps they could figure something out. I have not done this personally; I do feel sometimes that you must go to the horse's mouth (so to speak) to get answers. If you follow this suggestion, please let me know how it comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.