Cold starting issue is OVER FINALLY - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold starting issue is OVER FINALLY

I've put glow-plugs, GPR, cleaned all wiring, batteries load tested...etc etc..everything I could think of but still she starts hard cold. Finally I switched over to 5W-40 synthetic rotella. AMAZING, I'll never go back to 15W-40. It starts on the first cycle of glow plugs, doesn't do the "rump rump rump" thing anymore (the HPX crossover line helped this problem, but didnt' cure it). Overall the truck just runs better. So if you have a extremely hard cold starting issue...go synthetic, it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Yeah I must say it was a night and day difference for me also
Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am going to run 5-40 mobil 1 on my next oil change but a little worried because Ford doesn't recomend it, it doesn't get much below the high 20's here in Eugene Oregon and don't want to screw up my warranty. Are you guys running 5-40 synthetic year round?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I have yes. I switched last winter and just stuck with it through the summer months.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Well I just put it in, I may switch back to regular in the summer only because the synthetic is so expensive. Technically there should be no reason why you can't run the 5W-40 year round. As long as the "hot" weight of the oil is 40, and the oil is rated for heavy-duty diesel use, you should be good. The first number is the "cold" weight, meaning how well the oil flows at low temps. Here is a good article about oil:

Maintenanceworld - How to Read an Oil Can by Ray Thibault
Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 PM

I run 5w30 Rotella non synthetic hear in Alaska. if I put 15w40 in it will NOT start without a plug in 4 hours in advance. Put the cheep 5w30 Rotella and never plug the thing in till -20f, and even if I forget to plug, it will start with a little more cranking and GP cycles. It was 6f this morning and she hit on the first touch of the key, and the wifes gas motor cranked way longer then my 7.3. It's not the synthetic it's the 5 weight that makes all the cold starting difference. Glad you got it working!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm also switching to the 5W-40 syn. I'm planning on running it year round as I only put on 15k miles a year and don't want to dump that expensive lube as the weather starts to warm.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My buddy Marcel in Winnipeg Manatoba runs Amsoil 15W- 40 Heavy Duty Marine & Diesel Oil where the temps reach -40, he does NOT plug into a heater & does not have any cold start issues! He runs exactly what I run down here in central Florida! As far as "screwing" with the Ford warranty just remember this, Ford issues API specs. called for all motors just as Nissan, Chevrolet, Jaguar, and all who intend to market a vehicle here in the U.S. The Diesel API Specs submitted by Ford for their diesel will be CI-4 (pre 07) & CJ-4 for 07 newer and older!
These are federal regulations that were set in place in 1977 with the Magnonson-Moss Act!
Have a great evening guys!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsoil51 View Post
My buddy Marcel in Winnipeg Manatoba runs Amsoil 15W- 40 Heavy Duty Marine & Diesel Oil where the temps reach -40, he does NOT plug into a heater & does not have any cold start issues! He runs exactly what I run down here in central Florida! As far as "screwing" with the Ford warranty just remember this, Ford issues API specs. called for all motors just as Nissan, Chevrolet, Jaguar, and all who intend to market a vehicle here in the U.S. The Diesel API Specs submitted by Ford for their diesel will be CI-4 (pre 07) & CJ-4 for 07 newer and older!
These are federal regulations that were set in place in 1977 with the Magnonson-Moss Act!
Have a great evening guys!
Have ya been with olé Marcel and witnessed this -40 cold start with no plug-in first hand? Could be things work different in Canada than Alaska but hear once it gets about 0f you cant get 15w40 out of the jug and at -40f (same as -40c) it's like play-doh. If you try to pump play-doh things tend to twist right off, if they turn at all.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
im running 15W40 all winter for the last 13 years in the diesel wreckers and am running it in my F250... never had a problem with it either so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.