High RPM oil loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High RPM oil loss

My 1999 Fontaine 550 Is using lots of oil on a 1000 mile trip. I was wandering since it has a 4:88 rear and 70 to 75 mph is burnin on the rpm if it is sucking it all out the blow by. It has no leaks just slightly damp intercooler conections. She just turned 50,000 miles and never smokes ever. Ive used Amsoil from day one any ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is your RPM's at 70-75 mph? With that low gearing you could be on to something. May be worth wile to get a Gear Vender's OD unit for double OD and get your RPM's down just for fuel mileage. 1500 RPM is way more fuel efficient then even 1900 is and sounds like you would be running it over 2500 all the time.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

75 mph is about 2700 to 2900 i will double check in the am.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:36 PM

That is up there. Is their a reason you need 3.88's in it? I'm not even sure how tall you can go in a F550. I think it will have a Dana 110 under it but it could be a Sterling 10.50" I guess. It will be big what ever it is.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 AM

Oil Loss

I have the same problem, with no signs of leakage, except a little in the intercooler. But my truck is a 99 f250 7.3 with 3.73 gear and 95k on the odometer.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:40 AM

There is a post some place on hear about injector O-rings and/or bad injectors cosing oil disappearing without a sign, it's a good read for you. But Mavrick's post asks about high RPM. It's possible that the crank case vent can allow oil in the intake at the turbo inlet over the left valve cover and burn it as fuel without smoke as well. It's worth checking it out for sure. Pull the inlet off the turbo and look at the crankcase vent, some oil is normal but not much. If your air filter is clogged the motor can pull a good vacuum in the inlet and then if your crankcase vent allows excessive flow past it you could get quite a lot of oil at high RPM.

I will look for that post in the AM and link it hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.