Getting the right CPS.... Maybe not the International one?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting the right CPS.... Maybe not the International one??

You Guys might want to verify this, but a Ford Engineer told me by Email, that the International CPS was not the right one to get. It is a BLUE model CPS, and it evidently has a different Timing to it than the BLACK one... My CPS for $98 came from the powerstrokeshop.com people.

They also answered me the same question as I asked "is this the blue one or the black one". That the black one was original equipment, and the blue one was a different timing and would only work for the more extreme hot rodders...

Now I freely admit, I do not know for sure. But Fyreman, you mentioned in your Post "Got bit by my CPS" that you stopped by "International" and picked one up???? If it is the Blue one, it might pay to do a little research and find out if this information is true or not. It might not hurt any thing, then again it might longterm, or it might hurt fuel economy or something...

Da Ranger sez: do da research... You guys and gals can do it a lot easier over there, just relating a concern I was told to watch out for.

In all fairness it might not be an issue, but I think I would find out..

Regards, Ranger in Oz....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
The Fat Mod

I think if I remember right, and from what I have seen on here, the black on is OEM and the one that you want. The blue one retards your timing just a bit. But I think the black one is the one you are looking for. Run that by Marc first before you take it to the bank.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Yea, what he said....

"Retards the timing" is what I remembered as well, but I searched my Email and must have deleted the response, so I did not say it... But that is what I remembered as well. That would hurt fuel economy a tad.. Me thinks...

Maybe Guru Marc will set us straight. Compared to his knowledge on the Powerstroke electronics I am just a dancing chicken... Ha!

I am just an old school diesel nut...

Mind you, I wish I could buy a brand new Ford from the 80's or 90's .... I might just build one... Ranger in Oz...
Old 08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
The Fat Mod

I guess we will have to wait and see
Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Power Strokeaholic

im not marc but, i honestly dont think it will hurt any thing. so many guy's run them so i think we would hear the horror stories by now if they were no good.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:54 PM

You could be right Super Stroke, but in all fairness, if all it affected was a little worse fuel economy they might not even know? They could just be dumping a little fuel efficiency with retarded timing...

In the old days a slight advance of timing on gassers made for better fuel burn and power efficiency, but slight retarding of the timing shot the fuel mileage in keeester...

I heard the bad news from two pretty reliable sources by private email. I could be wrong, but trying to help out a little.. My CPS is the black one due to the private email sent to me re.....

All Marc, he is usually there to lend a hand or can do the Ford Techie research... He probably knows...

But I would bet a beer on my two sources.... They seemed very credible and there IS a difference according to them.. It might explain some worse fuel economy reported?????? Dunno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.