Fuel, HPOP, Injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel, HPOP, Injectors?

I have a strange problem. When the truck is warming up, I have a miss in one of the cylinders. As the truck continues to warm, the miss seems to infect other cylinders. If I pull out of my parking spot and smash the throttle to the floor the truck blows lots of black and blue smoke. But the misses start to go away. Right off the bat I think its an HPOP problem. So in an effort to find out if my pump is making the correct pressure I purchase and install a HPOP gauge. I am to understand that the high pressure oil is between 450psi(at idle) and can go as high as 4,000psi(maximum engine load w/ max throttle). That being said my gauge tells me that everything is fine. Back to square one. I spent the money on an Auto Enginuity scan tool and the Ford enhanced bundle. Did an injector buzz test. The truck was cold. Wasn't driven the previous night or during the day. Buzz test showed that all injectors were responding correctly. I started the truck let the oil get warm enough to do a contribution test and discovered that the #8 cylinder wasn't firing. As the truck got warmer it started to run more and more like skat. I repeated the contribution test and it said that 2,4 and 8 were not firing. Shortly after completing the test, yet more misses, until the truck killed itself. I let it sit for a minute while doing a second injector buzz test and restarted. It still had a few misses, but the truck started and ran.....

Long story. And now the question: What the heck is going on? Could it be a problem of fuel pressure not getting high enough to support the injectors? Perhaps air in the fuel system? Maybe I have an "o" ring in the HPOP that's leaking off a small amount of pressure? I replaced the injectors(all 8) two years ago, so I hope it isn't that. All of the cylinders that were missing in the contribution test were on the drivers side of the engine. Maybe the problem is located there?! On a related note, one of the cylinders continues to miss when I'm on the highway and below 1800 RPM's. When I smash the pedal, it goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

definetly seems to be on the d/s as noted. Check the UVCH connections, inside/outside the vc. Maybe the remedy will be a quarter...(50 cent mod). Check also for burnt pins, if so, then a new gaskets' in order..
Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Re: Fuel, HPOP, Injectors?

To be honest, I should just change the dang gasket. When I did the injector job, I change the passenger side. But failed to do the driver side(it seemed to be in excellent shape)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So the plot thickens. I replaced the driver side gasket/harness. No change. Plus I found an exhaust leak at the turbo(check the pic). I don't know if that's relevant. I did further contribution test and found that the problem isn't restricted to the driver side of the engine. Now what?
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel, HPOP, Injectors?-20130223_192508.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

description of codes: P0269 Cylinder #3 Balance Fault, P0266 Cylinder #2 Balance Fault ect.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM

looks like a turbo rebuilds', in order. Remove the oil cap ,and flip it over onto the oil fill tube, see if theres pressure, while trucks' run's idleing.

it could be the idm / pcm but you'll have to do a test at the 42 pin connector..(location at d/s vc). Google it, you'll find what specs to look for.

the "machine" you used to find the codes, can you do a buzz test / cyl contr. test with it?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
looks like a turbo rebuilds', in order. Remove the oil cap ,and flip it over onto the oil fill tube, see if theres pressure, while trucks' run's idleing.
I never understood what the point of that was...
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

AE scan tool. And yes I have done a buzz and contribution test. That's how I determined the miss was jumping around. Old Ford mechanic friend of mine told me to change the crank positioning sensor. There's a slim change that its giving some crazy info. i already own an extra one, so I say why not.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
To determine if the engine is producing "blow by". High pressure in the oil system means bad rings and low compression. Among a few other things.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM

i should've started a new paragragh, between those two sentences. So, whatsthe results of the oil cap test...try'n to get everything "out on the table".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.