wastegate? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wastegate?

alright so ive been noticing over the last couple of days that it sounds like there is air blowing under the hood on the right side of the truck, but its only at low RPM's. it sounds like its coming from the turbo but its hard to tell from inside the truck. also im getting 17psi of boose and i used to get 22psi about a month ago. could this be the wastegate or is it something else? once i get it out of the low RPM's i dont hear it and it runs perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Possible boost leak. Check all your clamps on your boots make sure they are good and tight and look for any tears on the intercooler boots.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:47 PM

i just went out and checked the clamps and they all seem to be fine, if i had a tear on one of the boots wouldnt it get louder at the RPM's got higher? i can hear it at low RPM's and its like it just shuts off once i rase them.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Could be your exhaust back pressure valve sticking a bit. Are you in a cold climate where you live? Yeah usually is you have a boost leak you will know with a decrease of power and you will smoke more out the tailpipe as you aren't getting good combustion.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Could be your exhaust back pressure valve sticking a bit. Are you in a cold climate where you live? Yeah usually is you have a boost leak you will know with a decrease of power and you will smoke more out the tailpipe as you aren't getting good combustion.
thats what it sounds like to me too.....
Old 12-24-2007, 02:09 PM

the temp out here is around when ive been hearing it was about 30 so that has to be what it is because im not loosing any power it still feels fine. how can i get rid of that? just pull it apat and clean it?
another question, if i get a boost fooler can i just disconnect the waste gate?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relytt58 View Post
the temp out here is around when ive been hearing it was about 30 so that has to be what it is because im not loosing any power it still feels fine. how can i get rid of that? just pull it apat and clean it?
another question, if i get a boost fooler can i just disconnect the waste gate?
Yeah sounds like it is. Mine was doing the same thing. I unplugged the soleniod on the turbo pedestal until I eliminated the valve altogether. You can unplug the solenoid won't hurt a thing. If you look on the front of the turbo pedestal you will see a two wire plug with a wire clip...just unplug while truck is off and it will stop your valve from closing. Hopefully your valve isn't stuck parially closed if it is you might be able to reach under the turbo and you will feel the actuation arm that opens and closes your valve and try to move it by your hand. If not you probobly will have to yank the turbo to clean the valve. You don't want to disconnect the wastegate, but you could pull the red pressure line that compresses the spring in the acuator. That will keep your wastegate closed longer to build boost quicker. Just make sure you plug the red line the best method is to slip it over the bolt on the intercooler clamp. Here is a pic of the turbo pedestal to help you out
Old 12-24-2007, 02:20 PM

alright thanks i will go disconnect it now. Hey if i pull that red tube of the wastegate now will i get the over boose code? i dont have a boost fooler yet but could i just do that for now?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

You might but probobly not without running a chip or tuner overboosting that is. Won't hurt a thing to defuel if it happens just a pain in the butt.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:37 PM

i have a chip on there but i dont know what it is it was on there when i bought the truck. i just pulled that red tube off and blocked it and where it goes on the waste gate. the truck iw warming up so i can go see if i get codes or de-fueling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.