Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HPOP going bad?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  drummondracing 
#1 ·
Ive posted part of this before with not much luck but now Im experiencing another problem. I have an 01 7.3 that when first started everyday I have to watch the oil gauge and feather the throttle, if I dont and the gauge does not come up in a couple seconds the truck dies and its and absolute crankfest to get started has been that way since I bought the truck but it seems to be getting worse.Usually once started its fine the rest of the day after the first start but now not always. If I let the truck sit for 3 or 4 days it runs like pure **** and misses the first 10 miles or so no matter what the temperature outside is.. Now my next problem. I recently put a beans 6 pos chip in the truck , high idle,ex brake,tow,economy,hot, and smoke and lope.. here is the issue. In the hot setting it does not have alot of power say if im going 60 and go to pass,, it takes off then kind of just lays over... lastly on the smoke and lope setting it makes ZERO smoke and after a few seconds in that setting its does not "lope" but sounds more like my race car when I go on the 2-step...pop,pop,pop,pop... I called beans and they promptly said it was the h-pop and would gladly sell me an upgraded one for 1k.. im not against putting one in but I want to be sure this is the problem before doing so.. any ideas out there?:confused:

#2 ·
I just repaired my HPOP but it was leaking out of the plug that Ford says is non serviceable. Check your valley for oil and if yo have oil laying under the fuel filter bowl, then I would definitely try repairing the HPOP yourself. It was fairly easy and all the write ups you can find are very good to get you through it. Either way f you repair your HPOP or get a new one it is well worth the money to get a new fuel bowl reseal kit from dieselorings.com. I was surprised at how many seals on my 02 were shot from the new ULSD fuel we are getting. He carries all the seals to repair both the fuel filter assembly and HPOP with the non serviceable plug kit. It made a big difference in my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.