Loss of power--what is it? Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss of power--what is it? Help!

Thanks for reading this.

I'm fairly new to deisels--this is my second. I have an early 99 7.3 that has been a champion (other than worse-than-expected mileage).

I started a new project out of town last week. Monday when I went to leave town with my trailer the truck was not running right--it idles VERY roughly, shaking the entire truck. When I push the go pedal, it slowly responds. When in gear, it almost doesn't at all. Then, as it begins to rev, it picks up momentum until the turbo kicks in, then she runs out ok. Even then, it does not have the power it should, it just runs smoothly. As I've been working out of town, I had no choice but to try running it. I've put a few hundred miles on her this way. I'm leaving town again now until Thurs. Then I'm going to try to get it to a mechanic, but I'm hoping not to get fleeced on the deal. If I knew what it was, I might fix her myself. I was told it was a bad injector, or a disconnected one. I looked under the driver side valve cover, and I couldn't see how any injector wires could become loose. I also tried unplugging the first two injectors, one at a time, and she started for both trials and seemed the same. It was late, I was tired, so I gave up. Any advice?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm working out of town I don't have time to dig into her.

Thanks again for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

I am sorry I am not going to be much help, but hopefully I can breath some life into this thread because I am having the same issue as of today with my 1995 F-250 PSD.

It seemed like the clockwork 1000 mile issue I have had with it. every 1000 miles literally +-50 miles it run into a wall. change the fuel filter and it runs fine. Still dont know why it is doing it.

Today is when the same problem started. I change the filter and it doesnt clear up this time. It holds the regular idle, but it sounds and feels rough. Getting on it it has a shake like one of the injectors is plugged (closely associated to a gasser running on 7 of 8) but then I get above about 2000 rpm and the turbo spools in and it smooths out but still not all the power. In 5th gear on the highway, when I step on it I only get 6-8psi boost, and it will hold 70 but there is no power like it usually has.

HPOP? Injector? CPS? Injector control pressure?

Someone please help
Old 12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

In the same boat

Hey guys, I'm not going to be much help either because I'm having the same problem. If you really get into her, she will go but not like she should, and normally loses steem going up hills. My truck is also a 99, but a late 99. The best advice i can give is to check your fuel system for pressure and volume. That is the only thing i can come up with from the threads that I've read. Like you guys i'm so busy I haven't had time to check mine yet. Maybe with three of us having this problem someone will be able to help us. I'll keep yall informed on new info
Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Check the fuel pressure and make sure the oil is in good condition. Then it may be a good idea to get codes pulled and an injector buzz.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Thats actually a good question about codes. For the life of me I dont know if my truck has a check engine light, I would assume it does, so therefore this power problem doesnt throw a specific problem code for me to at least have a place to start with.

Injector buzz? Whats that?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well you might as well add a fourth to the puzzle, same problem here almost to a T!! I have a 02 F250 7.3L 4x4 S/C with just under 90,000. Superchip installed and when i hoop up the programmer it comes back with a P1211 and P0603. Now the P0603 is a KAM error and im told very common, however the P1211 came up an ICP low pressure/high pressure. I have it at a shop right now and i will send results when i get them. I had to put the chip in HI-PERF mode in order to get anything at all out of it power wise. In factory mode, i barely could get to 50mph. Will inform!! However, any suggestions are definitely needed.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrenek View Post
i barely could get to 50mph. Will inform!!
This is exactly what I have today, fired it up this morning and was a little rough, but idled steady, left it running at the coffee shop, got to the highway, stepped on it to get into traffic, shook a little then WOW IT FEELS NORMAL!!! Drive about 120 miles feeling great that somehow it fixed itself, then, going up a hill in the country, have it to the floor, and she is going good, almost 15psi boost, then it just starts running down, boost keeps dropping till I am picking gears to try to even make it the rest of the way to the top. The whole way home on the highway it has that same familiar shutter to the engine, and with the pedal to the floor I barely see 60mph, for 25miles till I get it home.

Now I am pretty good at turning a wrench, but as of right now I am lacking a diagnostic tool to read if there is any codes.

Can someone also enlightn me, my truck does not have a OBDII port, so where would you connect to see if there are any codes?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:57 PM

check the fuel pressure and volume. hook up a gauge and drive it pretty hard. it should not go below 40 psi at any time. if it does check the pump, regulator, and the in tank screens that are in the sending unit.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

FPR SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!

So I thought I narrowed it down to the fuel pump. I had 8 psi of fuel pressure, at the valve, and no fuel leaks, so I concluded or at least got it too ingrained in my head that it was the high pressure side of my OBS mechanical fuel pump, and all I was seeing was the low stage pressure. So after a huge a$$ pain, $150 in additional parts, from a new under turbo fuel line, turbo oil O rings, snapping a turbo exhaust flange bolt, swivel sockets, and swivel wrenches, cutting 2 craftsman wrenchs in half so they were short enough, and over 10 hours of my labor. I am getting the truck back into one piece, and I figure while I am here, I might as well do the FPR BB mod. I take off the 19mm cap, and to my suprise, shards of a disintigraded Fuel pressure regulator spring!!!! What a $.75 cent spring? and I wasted all this time, you have got to be kidding me!!! Why I didnt look first, it was my fault, to check the function of the FPR I had it in my head that the pump went bad, as the only logical problem. So I havent put it all back together or even gotten the replacement spring, but this is the obvious reason why the truck was running as it was.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the mechanic shop fixed a u-joint that was bad, however didn't have time to get to the P1211 problem. This FPR spring could be a really good idea. It would make sense as to why sometimes it works fine and sometimes you can't even get 50mph out of it. Mines the exact same way. Now it hasn't run the way it should period since it first started but it gets better and then just all the sudden will just fall on its a$$!! No matter what though i can't floor it and get 100% out of it. IT just climbs to 2500 rpm's and basically stalls there until i get off of it. I will look into that FPR though!! Thanks for the info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.