2001 7.3 PS Block Heater Location - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2001 7.3 PS Block Heater Location (now with pictures!)

Edited post... block heater is found. See photos below.

Steve

------------------------------

I did the customary forum search on block heaters here and found quite a few topics, but being completely new to the wonder world of diesels, I do not know my way around the engine (you should read this as "the moron needs pictures").

What I have:
2001 crewcab 7.3 Power Stroke
Mod'ed by previous owner (unsure how much): At least Banks exhaust, gauges, stereo, etc. Perhaps programming, but seat-of-pants-power-sensor doesn't show this. My wife thinks it is pretty.

Anyway, in the other topics I read, it seems that all engine came with the block heaters, but perhaps not the plugs. Is this a correct understanding?

Thank you in advance.

Steve
Vermont (yep, 10F yesterday and the truck wouldn't start)

Last edited by Rabbit Farmer; 01-03-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added pictures of block heater location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
If you have a plug its usually tucked in by the drivers side tow hook in front. Look right above the oil filter for the cord
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Farmer View Post
I did the customary forum search on block heaters here and found quite a few topics, but being completely new to the wonder world of diesels, I do not know my way around the engine (you should read this as "the moron needs pictures").

What I have:
2001 crewcab 7.3 Power Stroke
Mod'ed by previous owner (unsure how much): At least Banks exhaust, gauges, stereo, etc. Perhaps programming, but seat-of-pants-power-sensor doesn't show this. My wife thinks it is pretty.

Anyway, in the other topics I read, it seems that all engine came with the block heaters, but perhaps not the plugs. Is this a correct understanding?

Thank you in advance.

Steve
Vermont (yep, 10F yesterday and the truck wouldn't start)
Look right above your oil filter, you will notice a wire comeing out heading right to the frame, follow it up to the front of the truck and you should find the 120 v plug in. All 7.3's should have them.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I check it out this weekend. In an act of desperation as the temp was going to 10F this week, I put a 40 W bulb under the hood all night. Started like a champ. Of course, having to walk outside in my slippers, get the snow off the hood, remove the light, and then go back inside all to use my remote starter seems kinda silly.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for everyone's help. It was -1F this morning which gave me the kick in the pants I needed to take action. I was able to locate the heater and after an extensive search laying in my driveway in 5F weather (5F at noon), I was able to locate the plug. I had to pull up the plastic cover that goes between the front of the truck and the fan. The plug was tucked in next to the headlight. I pulled it out and am now good to go. To help others, I took some pictures of what I have.

Location of block heater:

Location of cord that goes to block heater to the front of the truck:

For reference while lying under the truck looking towards the front:

Block heater (red wire):

All plugged in so I can enjoy a warm drive to work in the morning:
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbit Farmer For This Useful Post:
TorqueMan (01-22-2014)
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks-found my block heater cord 2001 F350

Thanks very much Rabbit Farmer. The Ford dealer parts person told me I could order a block heater and cord, separate items, for my 2001 crew cab F-350 4x4 diesel. After seeing your messages, I found the heater plug by tracing the orange cord out of the oil filter area, which comes out as a black encased cord and is visible from the outside in the front drivers side wheel well area. From there I can see it going to the front, disappearing back in near the front driver side fog light. After taking off the grille (4 screws on top and 4 clips on bottom), I found the cord coiled up next to the fog light electrical mount. It is bound up tightly with several wire ties but without cutting these I could pop the plug out of the front next to the tow hook. It's plugged in now and I'm waiting. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glad I could help. I needed pictures to help me find the cord/heater also. I didn't think I had the wire, but had the heater per internet research, so I went down to Ford and ordered the wire. The guy handed me the drawings above so I went home and tried to match everything up. Gotta love the information sharing on the internet.

Steve
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Location: Just outside the Pearly Gates in the Appalachian foothills of NE TN
Thanks for all your hard work fellas........6 F expected this weekend and I was wondering what my options were. This is the first winter for this truck. it's been a wrm climate vehicle all it's life.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi All,

I am new to he forum & have a 97 that I have only had for a few weeks.

I was told by he previous owner that the truck did not have a block heater (it was not ordered with one when new)

I have never seen a ford diesel without one (my friends trucks all have them...)

Anyway, on a 97 would the heater be located above the oil filter like the photos in this thread ??

If there really is no heater in this truck, I would like to install one.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

yep same place. I am not sure of how easy the install is. You might could find one on ebay cheap..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.