WIX Fuel Filter Won't Come Off?! HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WIX Fuel Filter Won't Come Off?! HELP

Well, guys, as the title states, I'm in the process of changing my fuel filter. There's only one problem... The thing on top of the fuel filter (it's WIX) that's about the size of a 1" socket, is completely stripped. We've tried using a mallet to get a 7/8" inch socket on there, and it just keeps on slipping when we go to loosen it up. I'm just wondering if anybody has dealt with this problem, or if anybody has any idea of how we could get it loose? I was thinking vice grips might be our only option left... Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

The new filter has the same top right?

You could try putting a screw driver on the outer edge of the rim and tap it with a hammer to cause it to unscrew.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
The new filter has the same top right?

You could try putting a screw driver on the outer edge of the rim and tap it with a hammer to cause it to unscrew.
It does have the same top, and I know which filter you're thinking of. The one I have doesn't have those little notches in it, it's a smooth surface on top, and just had a bolt looking piece of plastic where you would put your socket on to loosen/tighten. Check out this picture, this is what's on there right now, but the top is stripped...

Wix 33818 & Napa 3818 Fuel Filter: FleetFilter Secure Online Store
Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that's the kind I have on mine too. I really don't like the integrated lids.

I was asking if the replacement filter is the same as the pic? I would think you could try the vice-grips, but I was suggesting above, if that doesn't work to try a flat blade on the outer rim and tap in counter clock-wise to see if it would unscrew.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Yeah, that's the kind I have on mine too. I really don't like the integrated lids.

I was asking if the replacement filter is the same as the pic? I would think you could try the vice-grips, but I was suggesting above, if that doesn't work to try a flat blade on the outer rim and tap in counter clock-wise to see if it would unscrew.
Sorry about that, I just misunderstood the question. And, yes, it is the same. We tried that today, it didn't work. Maybe it's just way too cold outside today, idk. We did manage to ruin the integrity of the filter lid by breaking a piece off, and discovered that my fuel pump is working just fine by trying to just start the truck up! (aka we heard the fuel dripping underneath when we turned the key on)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Darryl has the right idea, I had a similar situation to remove a broken cap (my truck's a 6.0 but same situation) I used a hammer and a chisel. I only had to hit it a couple of times to get it loose enough to unscrew. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: WIX Fuel Filter Won't Come Off?! HELP

I had that problem last week with mine I hate the lids on the napa gold filters. I used vice grips and a lot of bad words. Make the vice grips so tight you have to use two hands to clamp them then just slowly coax it loose its tricky but my seal finally broke after about ten minutes of dicking with it with vice grips.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Darryl has the right idea, I had a similar situation to remove a broken cap (my truck's a 6.0 but same situation) I used a hammer and a chisel. I only had to hit it a couple of times to get it loose enough to unscrew. Good luck!
We can always keep trying, I feel like we might have more luck when it's warm outside. Cold windy days in Oklahoma SUCK, to say the least.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiz big red View Post
I had that problem last week with mine I hate the lids on the napa gold filters. I used vice grips and a lot of bad words. Make the vice grips so tight you have to use two hands to clamp them then just slowly coax it loose its tricky but my seal finally broke after about ten minutes of dicking with it with vice grips.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Hell yeah! Well, I have the bad words part covered, no problem there. The vice grips on the other hand... I will need to buy tomorrow. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.