Engine Stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Stalling

For the past several months I've been experiencing an intermittent engine stall problem with my '02 F350. At idle the engine will stall completely requiring a re-start... on the highway the engine stalls for a split second and continues running, which shocks the driveline and causes the truck to 'buck'.

The problem seems to be moisture related as it usually happens on rainy days. I've sprayed all the sonnectors with WD-40 and applied dielectric grease to the ECM conector, but the problem is still there.

Has anyone else experience this kind of issue, or have an idea of which connectors might be most sensitive to moisture intrusion?

Thanks fo rthe help... the stalling is really annoying, and my GM loyal friends love to poke fun if they're in the truck when it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if this is a 99 or 2000 model, better look around the pcm on the inside , they were bad for the windshield to leak in to the inside and get the pcm wet
Old 12-13-2007, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll check for water leaking in on the PCM next time it happens (probably tonight based on current weather conditions). My truck is a 2002, but who knows... the windshield seal could have a leak.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When was the last time you changed the CPS? Do like scuffy said and check the inside of the pcm. I've also heard of that happening.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobywrx05 View Post
When was the last time you changed the CPS? Do like scuffy said and check the inside of the pcm. I've also heard of that happening.
I had to have my windshield resealed b/c it started leaking but luckily I caught it before it did any damage. Ford did just issue a recall on 1.8 million 7.3's from 1997-2003 for the cam positioning sensor (CPS) failure causing your exact symptoms. Here is the link below.

General Article Detail Page - Ford

There are more adds about this in news articles.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:31 AM

thanks for the feedback guys... I thought about the CPS when the problem started, but figured it wouldn't be moisture sensitive if it was a bad CPS. I will definitelty have the dealer change CPS anyhow. I've had the truck for a year, have put 45k on it during that time, and I haven't changed the CPS.

Have you guys tried using the International CPS to replace the Ford part? I read that the international part is better.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 01 Exc. did the exact same thing only in the rain. I replaced the CPS and that fixed it.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 AM

That's good news... hopefully a new CPS will fix my problem as well. Maybe the new CPS will improve my fuel economy as well... lol.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having the same problem on my 02 F250 CC SB 4x4 with 130k. Thanks Quickhorse for letting us know that there is a CPS recall out there. Ford forgot to tell me (LOL). Made an appointment with Ford for tomorrow to replace my CPS. I hope this fixes it (Fingers Crossed). Intermittent problems are the worst.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:03 AM

Got the CPS swapped out... now it's just a matter of waiting for a rainy day to see if the stalling problem is fixed. I hope the CPS they swapped into my truck is more robust than the one they removed. Worked in engineering at International for 5 years, and never heard of CPS issues with the T444E. Ford must be sourcing their own sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.