Hard Cold Start, then DTC and Stall - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard Cold Start, then DTC and Stall

Hi Everyone... initially posted this then realized it was my first post. I've been lurking around reading up on the PSD 7.3 since I bought mine 2 mos ago, but hadn't yet posted. Bought this f450 DRW in Cali a couple months a go to haul a 2 car trailer to canada and back a few times. Made my first trip up, and was going to go back this week, when (start initial post):

I drove my '00 7.3 from California to Ottawa, Canada two weeks ago. Left it sitting, and tried starting tonight.

In Cali, on colder mornings, there was a lack of power when cold and rough idle that cleared up after a minute.

There is no block heater on the truck (i didn't see one at least).

Tonight, I went to start and it just did not want to. Would crank 15 seconds, stop, turn the key off and pause, turn the key back on until the "Wait to Start" lamp went out, then try again.

After about 8-10 tries, it started and idled like it was running on 3 or 4 cyls. When it smoothed out (4 or 5 minutes) I played with the pedal a bit, took it up to 1500-1750 rpm twice, it struggled to do this, then the Check Engine light came on and it stalled. Cranked it over once and it was doing the same thing as it did when it was cold(er) so I stopped.

Checked fault codes and got 2: P1316 and P0470. I've looked into the archives and see that these two codes suggest different issues, i.e. p1316 is IDM related and P0470 is EBP related.

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a failure or issue that would trigger both DTC's and give the above symptoms?

If not, soes anyone out there have any advice on what issue to start with based on the symptoms given?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mwallans; 12-12-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

take the valve covers off and inspect the harnesses.....sounds like you have an under valve cover harness coming disconnected...
Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In the end, it was the Bank 2 Under Valve Cover (UVC) harness that killed the engine and triggered the P1316 Code.

Just got the truck back from the Ford Dealer in Ottawa that did the work, since I didn't feel like doing open heart surgery outdoors in -25C weather. After they replaced the harness (clips were apparently not going to do it) and had it all back together, they tested the injectors and found that the #5 and #8 injectors needed to be replaced.

Since I would be stuck with full labor to get the valve covers off on Bank 2 AGAIN and on Bank 1, they recommended replacing the Bank 1 UVC harness at the same time. Total cost would be $2700 CAD which would run me about 2800 USD at today's bank rate.

I took the truck as is, to see how it's driving and jusdge whether or not it might limp home (3K miles).

Seems to idle a bit rough, not shaky just slightly rough, and has a more pronounced "clack" at times at idle.

In anybody's opinion should I drive this thing 3000 miles or get to tearing it down and sourcing new injectors, and replacing the other UVC harness? I may have access to a heated garage to do the work. Only problem is I was supposed to be back in california this weekend. So if I go the repair first route, I'll have to fly back home this weekend, fly back out here in a couple weeks, do the repairs, and drive back.

I guess I gotta do what I gotta do, but just wondering if anybody has any idea on how bad my injectors could possibly be given that I only notice the above mentioned two things (slightly rough idle, bit of louder clacking at idle) and what type of consequences I may face by driving 3K miles before doing the repairs in more favorable conditions (e.g., no blizzards dumping 16" of snow and temps 40F degrees above freezing).

Thanks for any input!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any takers?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More Questions....

Hi I recently purchased two new injectors on eBay to put in #8 and 5 cyls per my dealer's recommendation and diagnosis.

I relied on the seller to send me the right stuff. He said this:

"Hi Mike

All I have left are the AE , long lead injectors. They will work in all cylinders. I have them wrapped and ready to go. Let me know if this is OK and I will ship them in the morning. If not I will refund your payment. The only difference is a timing sensor in the AE; I checked this with several people that are in the business.
"

Is this true... I got the injectors, and the boxes say "#8 cylinder ONLY".

I think he has given me bad info...

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.