Help! Ran out of fuel and won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Ran out of fuel and won't start

Hi, I have a small ambulance company and one of our employees ran out of fuel in one of our ambulances. It is a 95 7.3l e-350. We cannot get it started. We poured at least 8 gallons in and it is filling up the filter because if I drain it, diesel pours out. It turns over fine, but will not crank. Also since this built on the van chassis it is very difficult to get to anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated, we need to get this back on the road as soon as possible. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

insted of ether try a little wd-40
Old 12-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have tried both, I have used a little ether but I don't want to damage anything. On ether it will run off of it for a second or two but won't start. The WD-40 didn't seem to do anything. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:18 AM

neighbor had same problem ran out of fuel, ford mechanic working off duty said it is a injector pump. lots $$$$$ 500.00 range.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:15 AM

Change the filter, could be full of all the crud that was in the bottom of the tank.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Make sure your batteries are topped so you have full voltage. You may need to open the schrader valve on the fuel pressure regulator to help bleed off some of the air faster. I had to do this when I changed out my fuel pump. If you open the valve with someone cranking and you get no fuel out then I would suspect that you have a failure on the high pressure side of the fuel pump.

Kevin
Old 12-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From my own expierience, I have seen people run one out of fuel before and have had to bleed all the injectors, the way they did it was crack one open at a time and crank it over, and when fuel started to come out go to the next one. Hope this helps

Stephen
Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

You shouldn't have any air problems in the PSD. If the fuel filter does not fix it, let us know. Check all the fuses also, if you have pulled the filter, the fuel heater may have worked loose and shorted.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I changed the fuel filter and it's still not starting. The batteries are good and I also changed the cam position sensor since everyone has trouble with them. There is fuel coming out of the schrader valve. I have no Idea where to go next. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance 95 View Post
Well, I changed the fuel filter and it's still not starting. The batteries are good and I also changed the cam position sensor since everyone has trouble with them. There is fuel coming out of the schrader valve. I have no Idea where to go next. Thanks for all of the help.
Very odd
Are you sure it ran out of fuel? You must have some other trouble. Is there oil in the hpop reservoir? Have you checked all the fuses, looked for frayed wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.