Cold Starts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Cold Starts

My dad gave me a call today and asked me about cold starting techniques for his truck. I am in college 5 hours away from home so i can only tell you what he told me. I havent had any time to fool around with it myself.
We have been having 32degree and cooler days for the last month. He hasn't pluged in the truck yet and i told him to start with that. But he told me that it has alot of trouble starting in the morning after he lets the glow plugs cycle twice someimes 3 times. After it starts he claims it shakes alot for a minutie or two. the truck is a '00 f350 CCLB, auto, completly stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 07:41 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the shaking for a minute or two is from the oil being so thick when cold.

When you say cycle the glow plugs, do you mean turn the key when the wait to start light goes out, turn the key off and then back on again?

Or do you mean turn the key to on and wait until the glow plug relay clicks, which can be up to three minutes?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the glow plug relay, it is the smaller relay further to the rear on top of the motor. It should have 12V on both of the bigger posts with key on with engine cold (for up to 120 seconds). If only one of the bigger posts is hot (12V) with key on cold it is the glow plug relay or PCM not activating relay based on temperature input (possibly sensor). The relay should be active longer for colder conditions based on input from temperature sensor. This is the most common problem in the glow plug circut in my experience. Replacing the glow plugs is more work and is most likely not the problem. You can check the PCM signal if the above is true, check the smaller two for 12V power during key on engine cold test. The glow plugs will not activate if engine is above 180F (I believe). If this all checks out you can check the glow plugs individually with ohm meter through valve cover harness connections without removing valve covers.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess what he is doing is turning the key on and letting the "wait to start" light to go out, then turning the key off and then back on again to let it cycle through again. Unless, after the "wait to start" light goes out the first time, the glow plugs cycle through again. Im not sure what hese doing.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

When it is cold out I turn the key to the on position and let it sit there for 1 full minute and the truck will start up immediately. If I do not wait, it will not start.

It sounds like he is cycling the key after the wait to start light goes out. Tell him to try a full minute with the key in the on position and call you back with how it works. When the light goes out the glow plugs do not shut off at the same time, they stay on.

Keep Strokin'
Old 12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds good man. Thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cold sarts are easier with 10W-30 in the winter. It was 18 degrees here today and the truck sarted right up no problem without the cord.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Synthetic oil is even better in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.