Truck stalls intermittently - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck stalls intermittently

I have a 2002 F350 7.3L automatic 4x4. Three times now, the truck has just died for no apparent reason. After it dies, it will not start until it has sat for a while ( each time a couple of hours later). While trying to start it immediately after it dies, it seems like the engine is cranking faster than usual. Each time, I've had to call for a ride and go back later to retrieve the truck. One time I drove about 5 miles after a 10 minute warmup and it happened. One time I drove about 3 miles after a 1 minute warmup. The third time, I drove about 10 miles after a 15 minute warm up. Several other times I drove it up to 20 miles without any issues. I changed the cam position sensor after the second time that it died, but that didn't help.
I changed the IPR last night and ran the truck in the driveway for 1 1/2 hours without any issues. I'm still leery of taking it on the for fear of it leaving me stranded again. After I changed the CPS, I let the truck run for 1 1/2 hours without any issues and few days later it died again.
By the way, the truck has approx. 235k miles and is completely stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby.cobra View Post
I have a 2002 F350 7.3L automatic 4x4. Three times now, the truck has just died for no apparent reason. After it dies, it will not start until it has sat for a while ( each time a couple of hours later). While trying to start it immediately after it dies, it seems like the engine is cranking faster than usual. Each time, I've had to call for a ride and go back later to retrieve the truck. One time I drove about 5 miles after a 10 minute warmup and it happened. One time I drove about 3 miles after a 1 minute warmup. The third time, I drove about 10 miles after a 15 minute warm up. Several other times I drove it up to 20 miles without any issues. I changed the cam position sensor after the second time that it died, but that didn't help.
I changed the IPR last night and ran the truck in the driveway for 1 1/2 hours without any issues. I'm still leery of taking it on the for fear of it leaving me stranded again. After I changed the CPS, I let the truck run for 1 1/2 hours without any issues and few days later it died again.
By the way, the truck has approx. 235k miles and is completely stock.
Shelby, how's the truck running after replacing the IPR? I'm having similar issues. Truck's in the shop now and I'm waiting for a call. They had replaced the ICP and everything checked out. But, then it died on me after just a 6-7 mile drive. I told the shop about the IPR and they're suppose to look at it today.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changing the IPR fixed the problem.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Good to hear that it's back running normally again! Your issues sound exactly like mine down to the bone stock truck. First time ours died was after about 55 miles of pulling a 26' travel trailer on our way to camping. Changed CPS and drove it around for 20 miles or so with no problems. Hooked up and left for home and I got 21 miles before choking. Let her cool, changed CPS again, moved the trailer to my son in laws truck and I got another 20'ish miles before having it towed home. Frustrating to say the least!

I was hoping the ICP change from the shop had it fixed, but no luck. A lot of people say it's the IPR. So, I'm leaning that way. Still waiting for that call. Thanks for your input and I hope your truck now gives you miles of reliable driving.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Glad you got it fixed!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.