Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bad mpg's Replaced bad ebps tube

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
Mpg's have been getting worse. Checked ebps tube and seen it was broke off at exhaust manifold. I replaced that and am getting decent psi readings on AE and also put in dieselsite's 203* thermostat and mpg's are still no better and truck still smokes a lot, really bad when cold. Doesn't matter what tune I'm in also. I assumed a good ebps tube would give me 2 mpg's better but not the case. Fuel filter is new. What else to check for bad mpg's?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

#3 ·
It does always seem sluggish. No matter what tune I'm in also. Obviously my modified stock tune is going to be less power, but for what mods I'm running it seems it should be better. Having PHP tunes, Bill is supposed to be known for non-smokey tunes. My numbers on AE all seem to be OK, but I really don't have anything to compare against. I mean all sensors appear to be working, but I really don't know what they should be.

#8 ·
Their could be debris in the tank causing the fuel transfer pump to work harder. I believe their is a check valve for the fuel and it could be bleeding down. Let it sit over night and make sure the fuel bowel is full. Pull the regulator off and make sure the little screen isn't plugged. Another idea maybe an oring on an injector leaking causing fuel to dump into the cyls excessively. When u change ur oil next or pull the dip stick and see if the oil is thinned out and smells like fuel.

#10 ·
Yes. I hooked up AE and am reading 14.8 at idle 14.6 on MAP at idle. Which is 1 atmosphere, and at WOT I'm at 38.6 bp and 36.1 on boost. Minus the 14.6-8 respectively for actual pressures. So I'm seeing roughly 24psi boost on a factory turbo. FWIW I'm seeing 800psi/idle and 3300psi/wot on hpop .

#11 ·
install a vacuum gauge inline between the tank and the pump. if you read more than 3"hg, there is a restriction in the tank. i kinda doubt it though, since you're building very good boost.
what was done between the time you were getting 18-21mpg and the 15mpg?

#12 ·
The only thing I can think of is I unplugged the ebpv. But before I did, I emailed bill at php and he said it wouldn't effect anything except make the hissing go away.

FWIW, there are some on here that say unhook your air temp sensor and that also will keep ur ebpv from working but don't do that, the ecu needs it for correct fuel mapping. Bill told me that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.