Absolutely will not start unless plugged in - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Absolutely will not start unless plugged in

I have a 2001 f250 that won't start unless I have it plugged in for an extended period of time. It seems that if I let it sit for a day it may start, but anything longer than that I have to plug it in. It's not even that cold out (20 degrees). I have new glow plugs, GPR, starter, and batteries. I have noticed that while it is cranking the rpm gauge does move, but the oil gauge doesn't move until its running. Any help here would be greatly appreciated because most of the time I don't have access to an outlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Absolutely will not start unless plugged in

Have you had it checked for worn injectors?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, all of my injectors have been checked. The truck doesn't really smoke when started either.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 AM

Re: Absolutely will not start unless plugged in

What oil are you running?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Re: Absolutely will not start unless plugged in

When you turn the key on, measure your voltage across the glow plug relay and make sure on the big terminals you are getting near 0 volts across them and you should see battery voltage on the small terminals. If you're getting that to turn on like it's supposed to then I would think maybe you're high pressure oil pump is starting to fail. You might want to switch to synthetic oil also it's easier on the truck and starting in cold temperatures
Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm running Rotella 15w40. The voltage across the GPR looks good. I don't know about the HPOP though. What would be the best way to check it?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

You need an auto engunity scan tool or other type of data logging scan tool. Kinda like the dealer has...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Pull the plug on the hpop and check oil level after you have let it sit. Also check the air intake heater to make sure it's working. Most people do a AIH delete which is stupid if you live in a cold climate. Make sure fuel bowl is full and maintaining fuel delivery. Does it fire right up after its been plugged up for awhile? Is there smoke coming from exhaust pipe while ur cranking it? If so it sounds like a oil pressure issue. Also are u batteries new? If not u need to load test them, they may show 13 volts but not maintaining correct amperage.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How exactly would I test pressure to make sure that the HPOP is working correctly? I'll check the AIH tomorrow. I plugged it in today for about 90 minutes and it started up fine. I will say though that it took a minute or two for it to finally run perfectly. I don't want to say that it had a "lope", but for a minute or so it was chugging pretty good. As far as my batteries are concerned, they are both brand new. This just really puzzles me because our other farm truck with the 7.3 will start on one cycle in 5 degree weather..
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do 2 things to mine when it does not want to start in cold weather. I change the oil in the HPOP (not wanting to start a debate but my truck loves fresh oil in there). I also put a quart of transmission fluid in the tank when I fill up with fuel. They tranny fluid cleans and lubricates the injectors and they function much better. My friend who has worked on these trucks since they were new says the new low sulfur fuel does not have lubricant in it for the older injectors. Since I started using it, my truck starts much better, the injectors are noticeably quieter and I had a slight stumble at idle that went away. I would use a full quart the first couple of times and then you can cut it back. I use 1/2 quart per tank now and I can tell a difference when I don't add it. The injectors are louder, motor is harder to start and the stumble at idle comes back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, cold start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.