95 F250 won't start - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another thing I just thought of is the inertia switch/sensor. Your mechanic should know about that its a fuel system safety switch for when you get in an accident it shuts the fuel system off. There was another thread here about someone having a hard time starting a E-350 and it turned out that the person forgot to wire the inertia switch. The inertia switch went out in my OBS gasser and it wouldn't start at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
Another thing I just thought of is the inertia switch/sensor. Your mechanic should know about that its a fuel system safety switch for when you get in an accident it shuts the fuel system off. There was another thread here about someone having a hard time starting a E-350 and it turned out that the person forgot to wire the inertia switch. The inertia switch went out in my OBS gasser and it wouldn't start at all.
She said they where getting fuel pressure tho, I'm not a tech by any means,but your fuel pressure seems like it is kinda low to me. Where the fuel line goes into the top of the filter housing there is a little screen in there that likes to get pluged after awhile. Thats all you have to do is take the torks bolt out/pull the line out(carefull because the rubber washer likes to stick to the line) a little bit and take a Q-tip with no cotton on the end and basicly just scrape the end of the screen lightly. When I did this to mine,it had about a 1/16th of an inch of crap built up on the screen and that was at 160,000 miles. If the truck is running when he fogs it with kero,that can only mean a couple things..#1 your not getting fuel to the cylinders( the only thing I see you haven't replaced yet are the injectors) or#2 the motor is really low on compression#3 There is a major air leak taking place somewhere between the turbo to the cylinders. This is just my 2 cents. Like I said before,I'm not a tech,so don't hold me to it,its just a couple of things to think about. I'll try to hook up with a friend of mine tomorrow and ask him,he has worked on more psd's than I've seen trucks.

Last edited by scoobywrx05; 12-12-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

POWER STROKE WONT START

FIRST OF ALL IF YOU HAVE THE WRITE SCAN TOOL IT WILL LET YOU READ VOLTAGE TO EACH INJECTOR.SECOND THE HIGH VOLTAGE IS 120 VDC.I TRIED TO USE A SIMPLE SCAN TOOL AND WOULDNT GIVE ME ANY CODES OR READINGS.I TOO IT TO MY DIESEL REPAIR SHOP @ $90.00 HR AND THEY FOUND ALOT OF ERROR CODES.MY SUGGESTION IS GO TO A DIESEL REPAIR SHOP BITE THE BULLET IT WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME AND TROUBLE.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobywrx05 View Post
She said they where getting fuel pressure tho, I'm not a tech by any means,but your fuel pressure seems like it is kinda low to me. Where the fuel line goes into the top of the filter housing there is a little screen in there that likes to get pluged after awhile. Thats all you have to do is take the torks bolt out/pull the line out(carefull because the rubber washer likes to stick to the line) a little bit and take a Q-tip with no cotton on the end and basicly just scrape the end of the screen lightly. When I did this to mine,it had about a 1/16th of an inch of crap built up on the screen and that was at 160,000 miles. If the truck is running when he fogs it with kero,that can only mean a couple things..#1 your not getting fuel to the cylinders( the only thing I see you haven't replaced yet are the injectors) or#2 the motor is really low on compression#3 There is a major air leak taking place somewhere between the turbo to the cylinders. This is just my 2 cents. Like I said before,I'm not a tech,so don't hold me to it,its just a couple of things to think about. I'll try to hook up with a friend of mine tomorrow and ask him,he has worked on more psd's than I've seen trucks.

Talked to the mechanic and there is no inertia switch and no chips installed.
He said the screen is clean. No, we haven't replaced the injectors. We did replace 1 of them several years ago. We are wondering about the compression also. I think we are going to have to load the truck up and take it to the Ford dealer to hook it up to their machine. Hate to do it, but my mechanic is at his wit's end and he has had several diesel mechanics look at the truck and talked with several others on the phone. No one can figure it out.

I had asked earlier how to check the voltage to the injectors - never got an answer. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will continue to answer any questions I can and also will post when and if we ever figure out what the problem is with the truck. THANKS! Donna
Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Any updates?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM

I believe every vehicle has the inertia switch. If you get in a accident or if someone tags your bumper it will kill the fuel pump. But you have fuel pressure so thats out. Does the truck even smoke when he is trying to start it? Did he check the timing chain, might have jumped or stretched. And does the turbo spin freely? Just trying to help out.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
Any updates?
Yes, as a matter of fact I do have an update!

We made an appt. with Ford to hook it up to the machine and try to figure this out once and for all. Our mechanic knew we were going to come pick it up the next day to put it on a trailer and take it. He unhooked the batteries, put the PCM back in the holder on the firewall, hooked the batteries back up and tried it 'one more time' and it STARTED.

None of us still know exactly what the problem was. We wondered if it had something to do with the PCM not being mounted to the firewall but the mechanic said it wouldn't matter. (??) Maybe it does matter? But, 'she' is running perfectly and boy is it great to have the ole Powerstroke back again.
(Pretty tired of driving that gas eater Chevy that gets 7 miles to the gallon and has no power)

This is the best forum on-line! I got the most help here and you all are great!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help from everyone. Thank you. Thank you.

Anyone know anything about a 4 cylinder Perkins Diesel motor?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaner View Post
I believe every vehicle has the inertia switch. If you get in a accident or if someone tags your bumper it will kill the fuel pump. But you have fuel pressure so thats out. Does the truck even smoke when he is trying to start it? Did he check the timing chain, might have jumped or stretched. And does the turbo spin freely? Just trying to help out.
Thanks for the reply. Our truck does not have this switch, we have looked for it. I wish it had been that easy.
We did get it running finally - see my other post today.
Thank you for the suggestions though, it may help someone else who reads this thread later.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Powerstroke View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact I do have an update!

We made an appt. with Ford to hook it up to the machine and try to figure this out once and for all. Our mechanic knew we were going to come pick it up the next day to put it on a trailer and take it. He unhooked the batteries, put the PCM back in the holder on the firewall, hooked the batteries back up and tried it 'one more time' and it STARTED.

None of us still know exactly what the problem was. We wondered if it had something to do with the PCM not being mounted to the firewall but the mechanic said it wouldn't matter. (??) Maybe it does matter? But, 'she' is running perfectly and boy is it great to have the ole Powerstroke back again.
(Pretty tired of driving that gas eater Chevy that gets 7 miles to the gallon and has no power)

This is the best forum on-line! I got the most help here and you all are great!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help from everyone. Thank you. Thank you.

Anyone know anything about a 4 cylinder Perkins Diesel motor?
If anyone knows what the problem was here, please let us know. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

94.5 to 97 ps doesnt use a inertia switch because they use a mechanic fuel pump instead of electric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.