Starter grinding with no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter grinding with no start

Hey guys, so it has been pretty cold here for the past 2-3 weeks (single digit to teen temps and close to 0 at night) truck starts just fine after letting the GP's do there thing, friday night I went to throw my plow on because they were calling for some snow, and the starter would just grind for about 1-2 seconds, simular to when you try to start a car that is already running. turn the key off, then back on let the GP's cycle again, go to start it same thing, then I try it again and it starts fine, i let the truck warm up, shut it down and i tried starting it another 3-4 times and it worked fine. I then went out maybe 4-5 hours later, truck sat with snow on it and it started up fine. woke up early saturday morning and truck started up fine, drove around all day and truck ran fine. Sunday I went to start it in the afternoon and same thing, ground twice before it started. Now I have search on every powerstroke site and no one seems to have a solution. I don't mind putting a new starter in it but most of the guys that this has happened to pt a new starter in and it just grinds again. The starter seems to turn the truck over just fine when it doesn't grind. What do you guys think? Truck is a 2002 auto with 180K miles on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM

anyone??? I am afraid to drive the truck as it might not start, went to lowes last night and I had to leave it running in the contractor parking section....
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

from my experience, when this sound is present from motors im working on either the bendix (small gear in starter that gets thrown out and engages into the flywheel) is missing teeth or worn, same goes for the teeth on the flywheel..The started itself could be on its way out like you said..Another thing i run into is batteries being low and not being able to fully throw out the bendix into the flywheel..i would pull your starter and jump the solenoid manually with leads and a battery and make sure the bendix isn't worn and is being thrown out all the way..also but a socket/wrench on the crank pulley and turn the engine over little by little while looking at the teeth on the flywheel..

this is just from experience, hope it's helpful..good luck.

jason
Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM

Thank you for the reply, I will prolly pull the starter and start there I guess. I'm gonna try and see if I can get a high torque starter from napa or somewhere. It did it tonight again. Hand to go fuel the truck up, started it up grinds for 2 seconds...then turn the key off and try again and it started right up...and it was 35 degrees out.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

an engine typically has 2 specific spots where it starts and stops its entire life. this is why you'll often find paired cylinders which yield lower compression than the others. it is also why you'll usually find the majority of wear on a ring gear in 2 spots. check the teeth of the ring gear. use a mirror and turn the ring gear it's entire circumference for inspection
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
you will need a 15mm wrench for the three bolts that hold it on and i belive an 8mm for the small nut thats on the solinoid. FYI the top bolt is a C**KSUCKER to take off and put on (this is the one you need a wrench for) good luck and hope you got a warm and dry floor to lay on since you will be under that thing for a while.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:46 AM

the top bolt isn't too bad. what i usually do, after disconnecting the batteries, is disconnect the cable and solenoid wire, then once that's out of the way, use i believe an 8" extension and shallow socket to get on it. however, i usually use an air ratchet. but that should clear the starter and give you room for a good sweep
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 AM

its really strange....its just a quick grind, its not even a grinding sound, its like when you start a car that is already running. then it fires right up....it does seem a little slower turning over now, i also had a diesel leak from the fuel bowl a month ago or so that i fixed, do you guys think diesel getting in the starter screwed it up?

Thanks for the tips guys! and no i will be doing it in the cold wet driveway haha....maybe i will tackle it this weekend in my parents garage...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had a similar problem once and it ended up being a grounding issue. I ran a cable from the starter to the frame and it took care of the problem.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkfalc View Post
I had a similar problem once and it ended up being a grounding issue. I ran a cable from the starter to the frame and it took care of the problem.
How big of a cable? Just wire with two eyelets on either side? I will try that first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.