Vacuum Switch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vacuum Switch

1997 F350 7.3 P.S. I have a fuel leak from the vacuum switch (had a small crack) that screws into the fuel recirculation module located on the right side of the fuel filter housing on top of the engine. Also the threads were stripped where it screws in so I had two leaks, one in the module and one in the split switch so I had to J B Weld it to stop the leaks but don`t know if the switch is bad. Does anyone have an idea what this switch does and if the engine would run properly without it or how to test the switch without removing it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

You may want to post this in the OBS section it may get more replies. This is the 99 and up section.
NCHornet
Old 11-26-2007, 09:29 AM

To NC HORNET

Thanks to NC HORNET
Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

I just tested mine tonight!!! I am not sure what the function of the switch is besides turning on the fuel filter light on the dash, I dont know if it has a direct result linking it to the computer. But here it is, The switch connects at 7 inHG. It will read open on a meter, with no vaccum, but by taking my Mighty Vac bleeder pump, it would go click closed at 7 inHG. I also bought a new one from the dealer, and tested it, Ford part # E8TZ-9S283-A, and it functions the same way, so I did some fancy surgery heating a butter knife to reseal the package so I can take it back tommorrow.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
mine was leaking fuel through the electrical plugin. It cost me bout 70 bucks at ford for a new one.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

$37.35 unless my parts dealer is giving me a deal on parts?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 AM

Mine was leaking fuel through it too. I sealed it with JB Weld, works fine. Thanks, guys for the replies.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

AFBLUE,
I want to thank you for the vacuum tests you did on two different fuel vacuum switchs, Ford part #E8TZ-9S283-A ( International part #1809435C1). The information you provided was very helpful to me. I searched unsuccessfully until I found your post, to find the vacuum value (W.C., inches water column, Hg) that this factory switch pulls. I was very impressed that you not only tested your switch on hand but actually went to the trouble to go to the dealer and buy a new switch for testing. I do hope the dealer refunded your money. By your testing now we know that the switch tests 7" W.C. This is the value at which the fuel filter restriction would have to be in order for the switch to activate and the light on the dash would come on. In my opinion, people that would remove this valuable sensor and plug the hole with a pipe plug are only asking for trouble down the road, i.e. injection pump problems or injector problems. This simple sensor although it may require replacing from time to time is valuable in giving a heads up to filter restrictions that could cause other problems. I suppose people would rather buy a new injection pump or injectors rather than replace this sensor. Thanks again, brooks12307
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.