might be time for a turbo.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
might be time for a turbo....

hey guys,

the reason for the post is i need some confirmation on my diagnosis...hopefully i will be wrong with it, but it seems pretty self explanatory...well, my truck is a 01, 171,000 miles roughly, dp tuner, ats housing, exhaust, blah blah. a couple months ago it started making an ever so slight "grinding noise" when i would turn it off...when you would normally hear the turbo unspooling or spinning through the exhaust....i thought, oh sNap....time for a gtp38R....but....i thought i would wait...as the bed is falling off because its rotted so bad, i need a rear diff cover, instrument cluster, trying to buy a house...the excuses were endless...well miraculously, the noise stopped. i thought great. im good???....so here i am a couple months after the first noise started happening and the same thing...randomly...no real other indications my turbo is failing, just after i turn it off it sounds like an electric drill...lol.... so...is it safe to say its time for a rebuild?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Take the intake off and pull on the turbo shaft. If it moves more than a 1/16 of an inch then the oiler rings inside are gone, and you need a rebuild.

You should have no, or basically VERY little play in and out, up and down....
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM

ok...my next question is...what do i do.....? i know i can buy a rebuild kit for like 130...that will fix my problem and i should be all set for a while...but...i was planning on doing some of rosewoods 238/30% injectors in the spring. i would like to not have to pull the turbo off again because i know the stock turbo wont last with those injectors. should i upgrade the turbo to something else? rebuild my stock one or sell as is and get a van turbo? im trying to save for a house and the truck needs a bed bad, cab corners, doors, etc....i want to do it right but still not break my bank account...(which is going to be hard to do.)
Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Get on diesel site.com and order the gen 2 wicked wheel. Bill at php has found some amazing capabilities to easily clean up stage ones on a stick turbo and keep drive pressures down, while boosting power....

Order the rebuild kit and do the rebuild. I did mine. It's easy
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM

I have a lead on a freshly rebuilt van turbo. I think I'm going to buy it and slap it in. Maybe I can buy that new wicked wheel too.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

You will love it....read the write up on the website...you'll be pleased.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM

I have been reading it, but I think they are all done accepting "trial" trucks...I will have to call them and see if i coukd try it out. I had the old version in my last truck. Liked it. I will definitely love the new style.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I thought they were fully on the shelf.....
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM

not quite yet...they are still in the testing phase...according to their site. i have to order a pedistal from them, so i will just try and call them and convince them that i am a good test candidate....
Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Well just to entice you as to what this wheel could do for you with other mods to your truck.....

A friend of mine on here, lowdown....he's in the same chapter I am in, and he's got a 7.3 dually, with 250/200s and a 38r turbo, fuel system, hpop system, and live tuning by bill at PHP....he put down 572 on the dyno before this wheel swap.....now he puts down 603 with JUST a wheel swap! That's incredible....

I cannot wait to get mine.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.