Starter trouble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter trouble

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, have been reading, but never posted before. Through the forum, I was able to diagnose and fix a CPS a couple of months ago.

I have a 1999 F350 dually with an 11 foot utility body and a 6 speed manual transmission. My problem is that it won't start. The truck got a new alternator in February. The starter showed no signs of any starting problems, except perhaps a little slower to start, but not enough that I was worried about it. I turn the key, all the lights come on, starter sequence is ready to go, one big click, but the truck won't start.

Since I live on an island, accessible by ferry only, having the truck towed is a very costly option. There are no trust-worthy mechanics on island, and where the truck is currently parked, (dead), weighing 10,000 pounds, it would not be easy to get it out of where it is, but not impossible.

My questions are:
Does this sound like a bad starter?
Is there something else that could be the problem?
Is this something I might be able to fix myself, where it is, considering I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It may be posable that your batterys are bad dose your lights dim down when you try to start it
Old 08-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

crawl underneath and rapp on that starter with a hammer mildly. If this gets it to start, its a starter for sure.....lets go from there so maybe you can at least get it moving....

If this does you no good, what i want you to first do is check all your battery cables and batteries. Make sure the ends are good and tight, the grounds particulary but the positive as well. Also make sure the batteries have enough cranking amps. They can be tested at any auto parts store. Just because the batteries have plenty of voltage, doesnt meen they have enough amps to actually turn the motor over...
Old 08-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Banned

Welcome!!!

Welcome to the forum!!! We're here to help!

I'm confident you will most likely be able to diagnose this issue without much headache, or expense. As Marc already said, often times the batteries won't have enough amps to start the engine. Most of the time you would want to start with the batteries in your situation.

Looks like Marc has you taken care of, he's the man. You're in good hands!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
I just had to replace the starter on my 96, similar symptoms, and it crapped out suddenly. I narrowed it down to be the solenoid but I chose to replace the whole starter rather than hunt parts. If you have a test light or multimeter handy, you can crawl underneath and look. The big wire should have constant battery voltage, and the small one should have battery voltage with the key in the start position (or the relay jumped).
Old 08-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still not starting

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, but she's still not starting. I cleaned all the battery connections, a small bit of corrosion on the driver's side, the other three were clean. I attempted to jump start it off my skid loader, (625 amps at 0 degree F). I don't know if this is at all close to what the power stroke needs. After repeating rapping on the starter, it still won't start. When I get someone to help me, I'll find out whether the lights are dimming.

I was getting a big click (selenoid?) when turning the key to the start position, after rapping on starter repeatedly, I now get the click when first turning the key to the start position. If I have to get the batteries checked, I'll have to pull them out of the truck and send them off on the mail boat and this may take a couple of days. Life on an island teaches patience... Fortunately the truck is on a job site a 1/2 mile from my house and I can travel to work on a four-wheeler.

Let me know if you have any more ideas.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Banned

there is a relay for the starte on the passanger side of the engine compartment right by the battery. Make sure you have power accrossed both sides of it with the key turned to start....
Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bad Battery

Marc,

I just received word from Napa that one of the batteries was bad. I,m having two new ons sent on the mail boat tomorrow. I'll let you know tomorrow night if that was the whole problem.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 08-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

On an island too....

We are on even a little more remote island that you... Ha! Lone Ranger here in Oz, Australia...

Look, the way to tell if it is NOT the starter, is to put a voltmeter on the batteries. If when you turn the ignition to start, the battery voltage falls on its face maybe clear down to single digit like 8 volts or something... Then this is a battery problem for sure. Common, all the old starter systems would just click in and not have enough juice to even turn over the starter when the batteries were low.

You can even have surface voltage from a charger, on a battery, and look good, until you put a big load on it and then it falls in heap. Even if you read 12.5 after charging, it could just be surface voltage and the test is when you try and pull a big load from it... From what you post, I would bet money it is not the starter, but bad batteries... Best of luck, LR in Oz...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.