please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
please help

ive got a 2000 powerstroke f350 and while driving it stalls out like u just shut the key off i pulled the codes and the only code i retrieve is 1316 so i did a injector buzz test and all the injectors sound the same but i get a 1294 code ,would this cause the truck just to stall out ,also ive relaced the cps with a internationel one .i just purchased the ae software,what should i be montering for this issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's what I would do, your Bank 2 (drivers side) is going out on you (1294). This is, usually, either the connections to the injectors (UVCH) through the valvecover gasket or the IDM itself. If they buzz OK it means at that time those UVCH connections were good. But because this is an intermittent problem (AND it's the easy side to get to), I would pull the vlavecover and give those connections a good look (do the 50cent mod while you're in there) ->

If all that looks good then I'd be thinking IDM They can get water in them and cause intermittent problems like that or just fail like anything else...

Last edited by NoRalPh; 01-19-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced the idm about 6 months ago I bought it used tho and every since then the engine light has been on so u think the idm might be what's making the truck shut off
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 AM

You bought a used IDM, and it's given you a CEL since you put it in?

That doesn't sound good...

I assume you didn't have the AE to test it back then, if the IDM is bad, yes it could do that. You know you can buy an rebuilt on eBay for like $135 delivered with a Warranty, at those prices it doesn't make sense to take a chance with a used one.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well it was suppose to be remanufactured but I bought it on eBay from some place in Florida paid like u said 135 no warranty and no core exchange but ran fine for 6 months than started stalling really bad truck died like 15 times withen a mile fired right back.up.tho .so I got the ae scanner hopeing to find the issue just got it yesterday.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Huh.... Well that doesn't sound like the injection system to me so much anymore....

Let's go back to basics

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? (open the drain level to check)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (are you close to empty?)

At 1/4 tank there's an issue with the pick-up in the tank where, because of a crack, it starts sucking air.

How's the IPR look? Connector OK, no bare wires? The tin nut, that holds the coil on, hasn't fallen off?

How's the oil? Not low?

The AE will monitor the ICP pressure and IPR duty cycle (%). What do they look like?

As a test you can even unplug the ICP (not the IPR though) and the computer will set a default value for the IPR to run on (it will set the CEL too of course) but if it didn't do it with the ICP unplugged it's a good indication the ICP is the problem. Another good indication of a failing ICP would be oil seeping through it and into the electrical plug on it (take a look)

The whole "15 times in a mile, then starts right back up" sounds more like fuel delivery to me and I'd be looking at everything related to that too.

Maybe take a look in the filter housing and at the filter (might be a good excuse for a change )
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The tank has about half of tank in it, fuel filter has less than 1000 miles on it and the bowl is full it runs good than all a sudden its just like u shut the key off ,the injector pressure was between 500 to 600 and i havent cheked the ipr yet and the oil is prob a quart low,with the icp unpluged it still dies
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 AM

And the only codes you see are IDM related?

The IPR is important here too, be sure to check it, physically, for any of the issues I listed above.

Maybe a power to the PCM or IDM is dropping-out? Fuses & Relays are all tight, good "feeling" connections, in the fusebox?

A bad connection or chafed wires (look at the wire bundles under the hood, where the lay on the ValveCovers and other stuff) roll the bundles over and give them a good look.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I get home this evening ill check those items ill post back after I check
Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so i hoped it trucked today and it fired right up drove it 10 miles with no issues when montering the injector pressure when floored to 90 im holding 2800 psi and at idle 460-480 @680 rpm the duty cycle was 10.55 at idle,i also did a conntribution test and it came up with code p0284 #8 injector circuit contribution/balance fault.i wiggled all wiring when running couldnt get it to die,the ipr looked dry and the nut was still on it but the icp sensor was full of oil but even with it upluged it still acted up uless its shorting out do to the wires being oil soaked ant sugestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.