Poor acceleration & strange engine noise?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Poor acceleration & strange engine noise??

Hello,
I am new to the Powerstroke world as I have just purchased a 1999 F-350. I hope someone can help as a few issues arose on my ride home. First let me tell you what I have. It's a 1999 F-350 Dually Lariat trim with the Centurion conversion. It has the 7.3L engine, automatic transmission, 4:10 limited slip rear. It is set up with a K&N cold air intake, a what looks like 4" (maybe 5") exhaust and an Edge Evolution programmer. Slightly oversized tires all around. The truck has 87,000 miles on it.
When I purchased the truck I did a walk around inspection, The truck started fine cold (upper 20's in temp), though it did blow a cloud of smoke (white) after about a minute or two it cleared. The transmission shifts fine through the gears in forward and reverse. The truck also starts fine when the engine is hot, no smoke. As the truck had no plates/tags I could only test drive it a short distance.
Here are my two issues, first once I started on my ride home it felt like there should be more power. Never having a Powerstroke before maybe it is normal. but acceleration is very sluggish. The Edge Evolution Programmer was showing a turbo boost pressure of only a few psi. The highest boost I received accelerating was 9 psi. I think it should be much higher. The programmer is set to stock, I think??? I have no manual and don't now how to adjust it. Could the programmer be keeping the boost pressure down? Or do I have other issues. I have yet to check all the intake boots for leaks (read that they could be a problem).
My second issue is on the ride home when I pulled into a rest stop there is a loud what sounds like a bearing noise. It sounds as if there could be a bad bearing in either the idler pulley or tensioner or water pump or one of the other accessories. the only problem with that is when you change engine rpm the sound stays constant no change in pitch of the sound at all. Now that I heard this sound I was listening for it while driving the rest of the way home. As the engine is fairly loud it was hard to hear in the truck. I have determined that when driving and you let off the throttle and coast the sound goes away completely.Once you slow down and the engine idles the sound is back. The sound is louder when the engine/truck is warm. I did a search and someone mentioned the torque converter ? Would the sound not change with rpm or sound different when in and out of gear?
It seams like a great truck, I hope my issues are minor and that someone can tell me where to look to fix these issues. With only 87K on the truck it should have many years left on it.
Oh and one other unrelated question the truck has a draw-tite remove a ball gooseneck hitch on it. Does anyone know if that can be adapted to a fifth wheel hitch or if that has to be removed to install the rails for the fifth wheel hitch?
Thanks to all who reply.
Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
you're SOL with the hitch.. check your boost tubes to make sure there aren't any holes... if you get a hide a hitch gooseneck or b&w turn over ball you can get this:
Hi-Rise Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter by Bulldog, Draw-Tite and Reese Draw-Tite Trailer Coupler 9480
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Re: Poor acceleration & strange engine noise??

If you only getting a max boost of 9psi with a tuner and your whole set-up i would be checking the boots first thing and then look for soot on the firewall from potential leaky up pipes. I get about 10-15psi with my banks tuner and you should be getting about that at least.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello,
Just a quick update. I had some time to play with the new to me toy today. I took the Edge out hooked it to my computer reprogrammed it and then reinstalled it in the truck. It copied new files to the engine computer and WOW what a difference. No more poor acceleration and I achieved a boost pressure of 18 psi. I don't know if it will change the white smoke at startup issue as I did the reprogram when it was warm.
Now the only issue is still that strange bearing like noise That unfortunately did not go away. Again any help will be appreciated and I thank all who reply.
Pete
Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Winning DUHHH

Poor acceleration & strange engine noise??

The white smoke at cold start is normal with a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone with input on my strange noise?
Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well it looks like the noise I was having was a bad torque converter. I am having a new converter installed and should get the truck back tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that the strange bearing type noise will be gone for good.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The strange noise is gone . $1500 later I have a new billet triple disk torque converter (Dacco) along with a new flexplate, pump seals and Amsoil synth transmission fluid installed. The flexplate and the Amsoil was at a recommendation from a local transmission shop who did not do the work, so no profit on the extra stuff. Other than the cloud of white smoke on cold startup this truck is running real nice, hope I didn't just jinx it . I think some new glow plugs and that too will be fixed.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

check the glow plug relay. Either its bad or your glow plug/s are bad...
Attached Files
File Type: doc GP & INJ OHM.doc (23.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New glow plug, just one needed and no more smoke at startup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.