Was runnied, died, now no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Was runnied, died, now no start

2000 F-350, 214,000 miles, Manual Transmisson
Had Superchips 1705 Save Tow installed, other than that, bone stock.

The truck sat for about 6 months while I saved some money and went through the transmission. While it was down, I changed the oil and filter. I am a full-synthetic guy, and used Rotella T-6.

I got it back on the road and ran it about 80 - 100 miles, going to work, out to lunch, back home, etc. Everything was just fine. I filled it with fuel, drove it 18 miles home, and parked it overnight. It got down to low 30s overnight, I glowed it twice (as I usually do), and it started just fine. I let it warm up briefly while I scraped the windows, and headed out. It still wasn't up to normal operating temperature. About 1/2 mile down the road the engine started "nailing" (sounds like the injection was too advanced) and losing power. By the time I was able to pull off the road it was barely running and died. I got it restarted and headed back to the house, still barely running, until it died on the road and wouldn't restart.

I towed it home, and (first things first) replaced the cam position sensor. It had a gray one on it from the recall, and I put on a known good black one. No start, but I did have tach response (about 150 - 175 RPM) cranking. Next I replaced the fuel filter. It looked fine, but that was the logical next step for me. I topped off the filter bowl with fresh, clean diesel. Still no start. The fuel in the fuel bowl smelled and felt normal. There was no water in the water separator.

((BTW, the filter I removed had an o-ring in the indentation around the bottom of the filter, adjacent to the filter element. Not the seal around the shaft, but around the lower outer diameter of the element. The new WIX filter didn't include the o-ring. When I used the o-ring from the original filter, I couldn't get the new filter in. I removed the o-ring and installed the new filter. Is the o-ring required? I would have assumed that WIX would have included one, but none of the ones on the shelf (both WIX and other brands) included the o-ring. ))

I checked the #30 fuse thinking that the filter housing heater was shorted, but it was fine.

Anyway, at that point I broke out the Snap-On Solus scanner and read codes. I had only a P0603 (from flashing the computer with the 1705) and a P0605. A lot of posts indicate that the P0605 was not unusual when chips were added, but I didn't have any, just the SuperChips Safe Tow mode flashed. Ultimately, from what I read, I decided that the ECM must have crapped out. I bought a known good DPC-421 and installed it. The original equipment was an XC3F-AF. The replacement is an XC3F-KD. I installed the -KD, still no-start. Damn - wasted money. After the replacement I had just the P0603 code from the swap, which I cleared. From that point forward I haven't received any codes what so ever.

Next I checked the HPOP level. It had about 1 1/2 inch of oil in it. I filled it with fresh oil, but it would immediately drain back down to that level. I also checked the ICP for oil contamination, but it was clean. An attempt to start the truck with the ICP disconnected didn't fire. I broke out the Solus again and cleared the ICP code from attempting to start with the ICP disconnected. My HPOP is 2300 -2500 while cranking. An injector buzz test sounds fine.

The other readings are:the

V PWR - 12.6 KOEO, 10.7 cranking
ICP - 0 KOEO, 2300 - 2600 cranking
ICP V - .2 KOEO, 2.87 crankingthe
IPR - 15 KOEO, 60% or greater cranking
Fuel PW - 0 KOEO, 2 to 4 ms cranking
GPC 99% cranking

Again, there are no DTCs at all.

I pulled the fuel filter back out, and with the filter out, turned the ignition on for a few seconds, and repeated that a few times. The filter bowl is not filling with fuel, making me think that the on-frame fuel pump is bad. I've checked for power at the on-frame pump, and have it.

At this point I am leaning towards replacing the fuel pump, but wanted some feedback from the forum before I throw a couple of hundred dollars out the window.

So, thoughts anyone? Have I skipped a step in my troubleshooting?

Also, any thoughts on the fuel filter lower o-ring? I haven't searched for any posts about that, so excuse me if that has a thread already.

Last edited by techboss; 01-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the bowl doesn't fill with fuel, it could be no power to the pump, bad pump, trash in the pump, clogged fuel pickup assembly.

I'd check for power at the pump. You can hear/feel it running too.
Then if there is power, you could set it up to pull diesel out of a container and right back into one to make sure it pumps.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM

If the new filter didnt come with an o ring for the bottom then that filter doesnt need one because you dont re use o rings.

Fuel left in the tank for 6 months couldve went bad, mixed with new good fuel, now after 100 miles it is starting to run through the lines. Possibly couldve clogged you up somewhere. If not prbly bad pump. If it worked before you had it sit, dont see why it went bad while sitting though. Possibly it was going out anyway. Put some conditioner in your tank for the hell of it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Any Updates?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ditto.......updates??
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

icp disconnected will give a default reading of 2300-2600 60 % duty cycle is high . what do you get with the icp connected when cranking . you need at least 500 psi to start
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any Updates, I'M having the same problem with my 2000 f250. I have a banks chip in and after calling Banks they suggested pulling the chip out and running it without the chip and see if the trucks dies without it. I too get the ECM loss of power. Banks mentioned it could be the CAM sensor. HELP
Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Well, they are right. Pull the chip. See what happens.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled the chip and so far its running great, Loss of performance but running, It looks like I have to purchase another performance product. Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 AM

Maybe you should check to see if you have any problems first before masking them with a "performance" product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.