Constant belt squeel, shredding belts, need help please! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Constant belt squeel, shredding belts, need help please!

i have a 2000 7.3 f250, when getting it on the road (august) the belt was squeeling so we replaced idler bearings, cleaned pulleys and replaced belt, within 3 days of getting it on the road it shredded a strand off the belt and left pieces scattered about the engine bay. got the belt replaced, within another couple days it did the same thing. so i left the belt like that, with a strand ripped off all the way around. it didnt shred it any further, but it was constantly squeeling, so i got some lithium grease spray (i believe it was) and sprayed my belt, as soon as i sprayed the side with the tread or whatever its actually called the squeeling stopped. so for a while now ive just been spraying it to shut it up. put my original belt back on today because it wasnt shredded so i wanted to see if it made a difference. this one actually squeels worse. so my question is why am i constantly shredding belts? ill keep an eye on this belt to see if it shreds, but spraying it only shuts it up for a few seconds...
thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll bet its a misaligned pulley. Look at the front of the motor from the side and see if you can see a pulley that is a bit forward or back from the rest. My power steering pulley was pushed in just enough to make that squealing so I pulled it out about 1/8"
Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 AM

Alright thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just went through the exact thing on an 01. Couldnt find anything loose or binding.Tensionor was tight and not loose but after closer look it was tilted less then an 1/8'' but was enough to cause it to ride up on AC pulley and shred the fornt of the belt. And it had an annoying squeel. Replaced whole tensionor for $65 all is good now
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman1175 View Post
I just went through the exact thing on an 01. Couldnt find anything loose or binding.Tensionor was tight and not loose but after closer look it was tilted less then an 1/8'' but was enough to cause it to ride up on AC pulley and shred the fornt of the belt. And it had an annoying squeel. Replaced whole tensionor for $65 all is good now
thanks for the reply man. I'll look into it on the weekend. Was there anyway to adjust the tensioner back or does it need to be replaced
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

u just replace.2 bolts holding it in real easy. Take it off and look at the area where the 2 pieces meet and look for a small gap on one or the other.it doesnt take much to throw it off.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Awesome thanks for the help! Appreciate it
Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just changed my tensioner yesterday, same problem..replaced the idler pulley too. 140.00 for the tensioner, idler, and belt. Good as new
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Had the same problem its the Tensioner. Did the same thing as drummondracing did its good as new!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.